• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help slight wifi issue

I was out and about the other day and I decided to use my phone to check for some things I was looking to buy, but no stores had it. I just happened to be next to a borders book store with cafe and wifi, which I've never used before, because this is my first portable wifi device. And for the life of me I couldn't get it to work. I could connect to the hotspot, but it kept giving me an error about not being able to connect and to try again when I tried to launch the market place app or use the browser to get to a website. I tried rebooting, removing the battery, forgetting the network. Nothing worked. I noticed everyone else in there were using it without an issue. And my phone still works with my home wifi and McDonalds wifi. Its not a big deal at all really, because I never go there to use it, but I'm just curious about the issue. Anyone have an idea?

A lot of public wi-fi places want you to first accept thier terms and conditions before you can use it. Did you try to open a web browser? A lot of times you have to first open a browser and accept their terms, and then wi-fi will start working for you. I've never tried connectng to a Borders wi-fi before, so I don't know if they might to that or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones