1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support slight wifi issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MonteMuscle70, Feb 12, 2011.

1. MonteMuscle70

MonteMuscle70 Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I was out and about the other day and I decided to use my phone to check for some things I was looking to buy, but no stores had it. I just happened to be next to a borders book store with cafe and wifi, which I've never used before, because this is my first portable wifi device. And for the life of me I couldn't get it to work. I could connect to the hotspot, but it kept giving me an error about not being able to connect and to try again when I tried to launch the market place app or use the browser to get to a website. I tried rebooting, removing the battery, forgetting the network. Nothing worked. I noticed everyone else in there were using it without an issue. And my phone still works with my home wifi and McDonalds wifi. Its not a big deal at all really, because I never go there to use it, but I'm just curious about the issue. Anyone have an idea?

Advertisement

2. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Texas
    its entirely possible that the location you were at was having problems with thier wireless router

3. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    A lot of public wi-fi places want you to first accept thier terms and conditions before you can use it. Did you try to open a web browser? A lot of times you have to first open a browser and accept their terms, and then wi-fi will start working for you. I've never tried connectng to a Borders wi-fi before, so I don't know if they might to that or not.

4. MonteMuscle70

MonteMuscle70 Newbie
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I noticed everyone else in the place seemed to be ok. And I know some places do have the terms and conditions, like 99 restaurants. I could find the network, and then connect, but when I tried to launch the browser it wouldn't let it open. Same with the marketplace.

5. msueagles2010

msueagles2010 Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Xenia, OH
    Power cycle the phone maybe.