• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sling Demo on EVO!!

Does anyone know if the activation code I had for my Window Mobile SlingPlayer will work? I really don't want to pay $30 again, especially since my WM player is no longer in use.
I believe that if Sling offers a trial for the Android player, you will be able to transfer your registration code. The onlyplayer you can't do this to is the iphone version because that one doesn't have a trial version.

Upvote 0
I've had a Slingbox for about 4 or 5 years. I probably have the AV version. A couple of points that others haven't mentioned explicitly.... When you set up your Sling account, you can create an admin account and a guest account. So basically, you can give out a guest password to friends and they can watch your TV--but not log in and change certain settings. With the admin account & password you can boot people off your TV at any time and change the guest account password to keep them off.

I'm not 100% positive about the more recent Slingboxes, but mine has inputs for 2 video sources--one composite and one S-Video (outdated, I know). Anyway, when I was out of the country for over 6 months, I hooked up an old camcorder to my Slingbox and was able to watch both TV and monitor my house through the camera. It worked great, and at least gave me some peace of mind.

I've had the SlingPlayer app on my iPod Touch for well over a year, and it runs great over wifi. Plus I have Dish Network and the Sling mobile software let's you log into your DVR directly too. If you don't currently have a Slingbox and are considering getting one I recommend you WAIT because Sling has recently been selling the hardware with the iPhone app included. Perhaps they'll start doing that for Android as well after they release this. I sure as hell don't want to spend 30 bucks on a Sling app.

One last feature that I don't think anyone has mentioned: if you're watching your Slingbox on your computer, it will sort of work like a DVR insofar as it will allow you to pause live TV regardless if you have a home DVR or not. It just buffers the video on your computer. I doubt such a feature is possible on cellphones given their lower storage capacity, but if you're on the fence about buying a Slingbox, it's another nice feature.

Upvote 0
I have Time Warner Cable. Will the Slingbox work with cable? I not understanding how this works. Any input will help. Thanks.

I don't have one yet, but it seems simple all you have to do is hook it up to your cable box and a cable modem or router and you are done. I think that it should be a tv that is not in use because i believe that it will change the channels on it as well.

Upvote 0
It is now out on the market for purchase! It works great on my Droid! @dhinez, ocnbrze is correct. You do have to go through a short setup process though (like telling Sling what cable provider and cable box you are using, etc).

@ ocnbrze, that is how I do it. In fact, I just have a separate cable box for my Slingbox (ie., no tv connected).

I'm on Verizon Fios TV with 35/35 internet (just for comparison purposes should anyone have issues)...

Upvote 0
Just downloaded and installed. Ask me to sign into my sling account. Gave me choice of my sling solo or my dish 922 receiver- which is sling loaded. Chose my 922 and there it is playing live tv. Took all of 3 minutes. Great navigation tools. All the controls you would have on your dvr. MUCH MUCH better interface than iphone sling mobile app i have been using on my ipad. Great job Sling Media.

Upvote 0
Just downloaded and installed. Ask me to sign into my sling account. Gave me choice of my sling solo or my dish 922 receiver- which is sling loaded. Chose my 922 and there it is playing live tv. Took all of 3 minutes. Great navigation tools. All the controls you would have on your dvr. MUCH MUCH better interface than iphone sling mobile app i have been using on my ipad. Great job Sling Media.

So it connects thru components right? I have HDMI going from my HD box to my TV already though. I just connect components from my box into the slingbox, connect an ethernet and its good to go?

Upvote 0
So it connects thru components right? I have HDMI going from my HD box to my TV already though. I just connect components from my box into the slingbox, connect an ethernet and its good to go?

Basically yes. Also need to put the infared sensor that comes with the slingbox in front of your infrared remote eye on whatever you hook the slingbox to so you can control functions. Initial setup with router usually no problem but some routers make you open dedicated port. Good tutorials on slingbox site.

Upvote 0
If you have Dish network upgrading to 922 receiver is better than regular slingbox as allows slinging in without changing what is playing on the tv. Allows 2 shows recording,one recorded show to be watched and someone slinging in at same time. Slingbox only allows same show watching and slinging. My old slingbox solo is connected to my roku so can sling netflix or amazon vod also. The app works with both. Just asks me which slingbox i want when i log in.

Upvote 0
If you have Dish network upgrading to 922 receiver is better than regular slingbox as allows slinging in without changing what is playing on the tv. Allows 2 shows recording,one recorded show to be watched and someone slinging in at same time. Slingbox only allows same show watching and slinging. My old slingbox solo is connected to my roku so can sling netflix or amazon vod also. The app works with both. Just asks me which slingbox i want when i log in.

Is that only with Dish network? if i have a DVR from my cable company would that work the same way?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones