• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slingbox and the X

Stealthman

Android Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2010
I just got the Slingbox Pro-HD. The initial set up was a pain in the a** but now that I have it done I am really enjoying my X. The big screen is really sweet to have especially when watching shows. I can watch everything that is on my cable box and control it just like a remote control using the onscreen guide just like you are watching at home. It also has the ability to control my dvr although I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

One caveat however is that it doesn't appear to be in HD on my X. Some channels look really great and others so so but the quality is decent.

It's just super cool to be able to watch live tv on my X wherever I am. It's not cheap for the device and you have to download slingplayer from the market for another $30 but for me it's well worth it.

Reactions: MutantCheese
Yeah when my cable contract runs out, I am definatly getting one.

Slingbox does not replace your cable. It just allows you to "place-shift," or use your phone (or pc) to watch what's displayed on your TV.

I've been researching this and still I'm unclear whether you have to have existing cable. It seems to (the home box) an expensive dvr. If you have to home box you still need cable right? Do you have to have a box at home to use the mobile version?

You don't have to have cable. You could sling pre-recorded content from your DVR, or over-the-air antenna broadcasts. However, a slingbox doesn't replace cable/fios (it's not a content provider).

Upvote 0
I agree with the poster that mentioned picking up a Slingbox off of craigslist.

They are super cheap on there, and even my old Slingbox AV works just fine with the Droid X.

After bucking up for the thirty dollar Slingplayer Android app, you're home free watching all your cable content (including DVR and OnDemand) for free.

Can't beat that with a bat.

Upvote 0
I agree with the poster that mentioned picking up a Slingbox off of craigslist.

They are super cheap on there, and even my old Slingbox AV works just fine with the Droid X.

After bucking up for the thirty dollar Slingplayer Android app, you're home free watching all your cable content (including DVR and OnDemand) for free.

Can't beat that with a bat.

Im afraid I can....

If you have dishnetwork, they now have an app in the market and with their new slingloaded 922....no additional equipment is needed, NOR the 30 app

either way, its VERY cool!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones