• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slingplaye Mobile official app on android market tomorrow

I don't think the HD is worth it unless you plan on watching on a monitor that is 720p or higher. Definitely not necessary for a phone. That said, I won a 1080p (1920x1080) 27" Viewsonic Monitor at an E3 after party last week, and it's kind of tough to watch Slingbox on it. I also have one of my old 19" Viewsonics running at 1440x960 (I think) hooked up and off to one side of the 27", so I usually drop the Sling Player onto that to watch instead of watching on the 27"...

Upvote 0
Hmm, just skimmed over the specs of the solo real quick. I'm guessing it doesn't have any storage for DVR features though, right? In order to watch recorded content with it, you need to hook up a DVR to it, right? Tempting to see if I can find a box on CL or Newegg for what it does though. The only time I could really see myself using it is on long car trips or something though.

Upvote 0
For those interested in purchasing...The Slingbox Solo (non HD and is the one I have) is on sale at Newegg for $157...

Also, in my area, I am seeing Solo's going for $120 on Craigslist.

The Sling Solo pushes out 1080i via "component" cables...not that the phone can support it but its viewable via the PC app or web browser. Not really necessary to get the PRO-HD box.

Upvote 0
Ok....Can someone please explain what Slingplaye is all about? I tried to understand it from egadget and am confused. Thxs in advance for the information.

It's actually "Slingplayer." You have to buy a box, hook it up to your video source then hook it to the Internet. You can then view your TV from a computer and now from your Android device. Just downloaded it from the market and it's working perfectly on my Slingbox HD. Full screen with correct aspect ratio on HD channels. Finally.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones