1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Slingplayer app question.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by loki, Feb 26, 2011.

1. loki

loki Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    When pressing the menu button, above quality it says HQ. Does that mean I am in HQ mode or select it to be in HQ mode? I have tried both and they both look clear and seems to lag a little. I am in a bad signal area...also is there a way to see our signal strength in the app like on the iphone?

Advertisement

2. DenverCZBob

DenverCZBob Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    I can not really tell the difference on my phone between the 'SQ' and 'HD' although I am just using a Slingbox Solo which although has component inputs, it doesn't actually stream HD. If you are running a HD model, you probably will have to get into a good Wi-Fi area to MAYBE tell the difference. The phone screen is pretty small (not for a phone of course) but for a TV, so in my opinion it looks pretty dang good, even just using 3g.
    As far as the quality of your signal, I can not find anything other than the built in phone meters (the Wi-fi meter and the number of 'bars' if you are running off of 3G).

-bob

loki likes this.
  3. loki

loki Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009

I am using the solo as well. I was thinking or maybe just hoping that if I selected HQ it gave my app permission to pull at a higher bit-rate so that I could get a better image. I still can't figure out if the HQ above Quality means it is playing in HQ or select it to view in HQ. I have apps that work both ways.

4. DenverCZBob

None

Nov 17, 2010
    Haha, sorry, I think I was adding to my first post while you were posting your second message...
    I could be wrong, but even with my slingbox in my house and running on my wi-fi with a very stong signal, I don;t see the difference between the two "SQ and HD"

-bob

loki likes this.
  5. loki

loki Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009

Do you notice any lag on either one? I heard SD pulls down at a max 250k while HQ needs at least 500k.

6. DenverCZBob

None

Nov 17, 2010
    No difference at all. Do you have wi-fi in your house on the same network as your Sling?

7. big_hemi

big_hemi Lurker
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    I have the slingbox pro-hd connected via component from my cable box, and the slingplayer mobile app on my droid x. If the menu in the app shows SQ then you can choose it to go to standard quality. If it shows HQ you can choose it to go to high quality. I notice a big difference on faster moving programs such as ice hockey. You can really tell the difference when you are on a channel with a scroll on the bottom of the screen. In HQ you can actually read the scroll. Of course it is much better on WiFi, but in a good VZW coverage area the HQ looks just as amazing as WiFi.

loki likes this.
  8. big_hemi

big_hemi Lurker
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    I should also add that the lag from the pro-hd is much less than the old slingbox a/v I had. Probably 3-5 second max lag with the pro-hd. The a/v was close to 10 seconds if not greater.

loki likes this.
  9. loki

loki Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009

Thank You, I think I might go pick up the Pro-HD.