• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slooooooow internet connection

VolsMcFalls

May 14, 2010
For the past couple of days, my internet connection on my Incredible has been ridiculously slow. I ran some speed tests yesterday and they were 180 - 200 kbps download. Today it's even slower...12kbps. Yes, 12.

I've done everything I know to do. Is anyone else having this issue? Perhaps it's Verizon's network? Or, have I been throttled (which they still say they aren't doing).

It's even more frustrating when I try to tether.

If you are on unlimited 3G and exceed more than 2GB then VZW will throttle you, they have said this but they call it network optimization.

If you do not pay for a tethering plan then you shouldn't tether as it is against the ToS, please see the sticky in this forum for more info on how to get a tethering plan.

Upvote 0
I have never gone over 2GB on my 3G phone, and have noticed speeds around here have gotten extremely slow as well. I am also on unlimited data, so they're probably just throttling everyone with it from the get go. Granted speeds here have never been that great, but the past few months have just been horrible, to the point where I hardly use my phone to do anything web related unless I have wifi.

I can see VZW doing it to everyone with unlimited and use the following to justify it:
1. You use over 2GB: Sorry, you're throttled.
2. You use under 2GB: Sorry, the high data users are consuming all the bandwidth.

That way they can lie to you and tell you if you switch to their new tiered plans you get priority on bandwidth up to your limit, yet still give you the same crappy speed. Which at that point, they already have you off unlimited and could give a rat's ass.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones