• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Madbat

Android Expert
Feb 9, 2012
New Orleans
Is anyone else getting horrible data speed? I'm in the New Orleans area and during the day my data is so slow I can't even check my email. When I wake up in the the morning, (5 a.m.) super speed. Over 2.5 MB per second. Around 9 a.m. its so slow it barely connects. I can barely open the play store, forget about updating or downloading an app. Its starting to get really annoying. Between 9 am and maybe 11 pm my phone is useless as an internet device. Its been about 2 weeks now, just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
I've tried unrooting and going stock, rooting, custom ROM all the same so I don't think it's my phone but who knows. Just thought I would ask my fellow Victorians (or anyone else on virgin/Sprint's 4g network) if its just me or does it seem to be a network-wide problem. I think its network because it the same time every day. :thinking:

Is anyone else getting horrible data speed? I'm in the New Orleans area and during the day my data is so slow I can't even check my email. When I wake up in the the morning, (5 a.m.) super speed. Over 2.5 MB per second. Around 9 a.m. its so slow it barely connects. ....

I was about to reply and say that 2.5 MB wasn't very good... I was getting between 14 and 20 MB last time I checked (a couple of weeks ago) but I just ran a speed test and got 3.5 MB and a second test showed 1MB. My vote is for network load. I was hoping that the 4G network would somehow be immune to network loading. Guess I was wrong.

FYI the above results are in South Florida.

I would complain to VM/Sprint and tell them that they need to beef up the network in your area. It probably wont help unless "a lot" of people complain.

Upvote 0
I was about to reply and say that 2.5 MB wasn't very good... I was getting between 14 and 20 MB last time I checked (a couple of weeks ago) but I just ran a speed test and got 3.5 MB and a second test showed 1MB. My vote is for network load. I was hoping that the 4G network would somehow be immune to network loading. Guess I was wrong.

FYI the above results are in South Florida.

I would complain to VM/Sprint and tell them that they need to beef up the network in your area. It probably wont help unless "a lot" of people complain.

20 MB per second download speed? Wow. I've never seen over 4 MB. Nice. I am on hold now ready to complain. I don't get 10 KB per second during the day and early evening.

Upvote 0
Hey Madbat,

I usually hover around 8 to 10 MB (sometimes up to 20 MB but rarely) around the Knoxville TN area and I'm now seeing around 2 MB.

Being as paranoid as I am sometimes, and seeing how this is now happening in multiple states, I fear it's related to them preparing for the upcoming 4G throttle. :(

Upvote 0
Hey Madbat,

I usually hover around 8 to 10 MB (sometimes up to 20 MB but rarely) around the Knoxville TN area and I'm now seeing around 2 MB.

Being as paranoid as I am sometimes, and seeing how this is now happening in multiple states, I fear it's related to them preparing for the upcoming 4G throttle. :(

I was thinking the exact same thing. Its kinda why I was asking if anyone else was experiencing it. But I was hoping it was holiday network traffic overload. A guy can hope.

Upvote 0
20 MB per second download speed? Wow. I've never seen over 4 MB. Nice. I am on hold now ready to complain. I don't get 10 KB per second during the day and early evening.

Did you get to complain? If so, were they encouraging?

I have noticed that 4G speeds are directly related to signal strength. A weaker 4G signal will lower my data speeds.

Upvote 0
That IS unusual. In Raleigh, NC, my One would regularly fetch as high as 35mbps in 4G areas.

Geez. Lucky dog. Its only been like this recently. From 10 am to like midnight. Between midnight and 8 am i get 5 or 6 mbps.I saw there were some other changes coming in the next couple months that could explain it too. Apparently sprint is going to put virgin and boost together and call it Sprint Freedom. So there may be some work going on in the network.

Upvote 0
Geez. Lucky dog. Its only been like this recently. From 10 am to like midnight. Between midnight and 8 am i get 5 or 6 mbps.I saw there were some other changes coming in the next couple months that could explain it too. Apparently sprint is going to put virgin and boost together and call it Sprint Freedom. So there may be some work going on in the network.

If they do to the plans what they did to their original prepaid plans, then I may have jumped ship at the right time... I hadn't heard about that until today, actually.

At any rate, I think Raleigh's also a smaller area than your living area, and that was in March/April, which isn't really a big "GET OUT AND DO THINGS ON YOUR MOBILE" time, so there's lots of factors.

I did run around with my Victory on 3G for 3-4 months since I installed Conquest, not realizing I'd turned off 4G...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones