1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

slow android

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jhnybgood47, Aug 5, 2013.

1. jhnybgood47

jhnybgood47 Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2013
    I bought a Droid X when the X2 was about to be released. After about 6 months the phone slowed to a crawl. I reformatted it many times over several weeks as the Verizon sales person suggested and even was given another X. The phone was still slow. I have a windows phone now and am already bored with it. My question is this: does android still do this? Does it still slow after a while? Also does task killer work? I remember people telling me task killer is a must have and others told me it messes up the phone.

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    What android version was that phone on mate? Android has got to a point where 3rd party task killers are counter productive. Android makes a smart decision what to kill and when.
    As for devices getting slower as the user storage gets fuller, i havent experienced it but aparently the Nexus 7 suffers really badly from it and android 4.3 has a fix for that :thumbup:
    EDIT its called "trim"

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor
    None

I also haven't experienced my devices getting slow over time recently. I had it back in my first days with my old Galaxy S before I learned that task killers are bad. But ever since I stopped and reformatted, everything worked fine. Also it depends on what you mean by slow. It maybe that you are experiencing 'relative' slowness. I initially thought that my Galaxy S was fast until I got a dual core device in my Tab. Then my phone started feeling slow, despite the performance not really having changed.

funkylogik likes this.
  4. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    Lower end devices get extremely laggy and unstable after you install a lot of stuff. Seems worse in Android 2.3 or earlier. These days such problems only happen if you got power saver on or are leaving like 20 apps open in addition to two paired Bluetooth devices and downloading MP3s while watching YouTube.

5. jhnybgood47

jhnybgood47 Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I don't remember the version on the phone. It was a really old phone. I'm getting an s4 later this week so I'm hoping it is better.

6. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    The differences between Android 2.x and 4.x in terms of stability and fluidity are night and day.

bjacks12 and Rxpert83 like this.
  7. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2012
    Male
    Professional Smartass
    Las Vegas
    Yup. My Nexus 4 with 4.3 is WAAAAAAY better than my Captivate with 2.3

I would put my phone against any iPhone for fluidity and quality of user experience.