1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Slow charging after factory reset

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jrsharp21, Jan 23, 2014.

1. jrsharp21

jrsharp21 Member
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    I did a factory reset yesterday on my phone (curently have 4.3 loaded) and now it is taking forever to charge. Before the reset it would charge to full within in an hour. This morning I have had it on the charger for about 2.5 hours and it has only gained 5 percent on the charge. Before the reset I was running Nova luncher. Right now I am just running the stock launcher. I checked the task manager and there isn't anything wierd running that shouldn't be. Anyone have any ideas.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Turn the phone off when charging. It's a charger, not an external power supply. It can't run the phone and charge the battery at the same time.

The battery is 2.1Ah. Even if the charger could supply 2.1A, it would take more than an hour to fully charge. (Nothing is 100% efficient.) (And I doubt that the phone draws more than 0.9A at most.)

I'd bet that the charge indicator wasn't calibrated before the reset, so it indicated a full charge when the battery was only partly charged. Now you're seeing how long it really takes to charge. 6-8 hours isn't unusual.

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    When i got home about an hour ago my battery was flat. Ive been using it while plugged in since then and its at 36%.
    It definately does charge while being used :)
    In the OPs case something has changed. It has nothing to do with using the phone while its turned on ;)

4. coastal_carolina

coastal_carolina Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Male
    IT/Information Technology
    Greenville, SC
    How many apps have you put back on so far after the factory reset?

Check your battery usage in the settings menu to see what is sucking your battery life. It may not be a charging issue, but rather an app or apps sucking the life out of it while its trying to charge and they are competing.

Also, do you have an extra cable and charger you can try?

funkylogik likes this.
  5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Yeah the stock battery monitor app can be helpful (post screenshots of both graphs) and i recommend "gsam battery monitor" and "wakelock detector" apps too to track down troublesom apps.
    The s3 is notorious for being over sensitive to slightly damaged charging cables though :thumbup: