1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Slow charging problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ktchong, Aug 16, 2013.

1. ktchong

ktchong Android Enthusiast

Seems like it's a common problem on Samsung Galaxy S3 *and* S4. The phone stops charging or charges very slowly, and loses charge when it's charging (AC) and being used at the same time.

I had the problem about two or three months ago, but then it went away. Now it's acting up again.

Does anyone else have the same problem? What's your solution?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

9/10 its a damaged charger cable. The samsungs have a "feature" that drops the charge current when it thinks it detects a bad cable :thumbup:

scary alien and Jon_LTD like this.
  3. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert

Agreed. Mine was doing the old slow charge, then I bought a new cable for

4. ktchong

I've already tried four different cables. They all have the same problem with S3.

scary alien and funkylogik like this.
  5. funkylogik

Hmm. U tried another battery? (Sorry im grasping at the obvious things first in the hope that we dont have to go messing with software lol) :)

6. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert

Also just removing all other possibilities.. We are talking chargers connected via the mains? And not charged directly through usb?

7. gregg1100

gregg1100 Android Enthusiast

I thought the supplied wall USB charger was slow when I first had my S3, so bought a genuine straight from mains wall type charger. Turned out that the mains wall one kicked out 0.7 amp, whereas the USB one gave out 1 amp, so don't know. Both slow now- takes ages again.

8. funkylogik

The s3 (unmodded) will only draw 1A max of charge current. The stock charger is 1.2A.. not sure where i was goin with this one lol sorry peeps :beer:

scary alien likes this.
  9. ktchong

I did.

I had an Anker 4400 battery for about six months. My phone had the same slow-charge problem back in May. At the time, I was alternatively using a LG cable and a high-end MediaBridge cable, and both had the same problem with slow charging. I swapped back to the Samsung OEM cable, and the problem was solved. I've been using that OEM cable since then.

Now I have the ZeroLemon 7000 battery. A few days ago, the OEM cable started having the same slow-charge problem. I tried a new premium "rugged" cable from DataStream. It has the same problem.

I googled "S3 slow charging" and "S3 charging problem". Found out it is actually a very common problem, but no one had found a permanent solution. Even S4, which is only a few months old, has the same problem. It's also a very common problem on the Galaxy Note line. People concluded that it is the result of low-quality control/manufacturing of the USB port on the phones. makes me very wary of upgrading to S4 or getting another Samsung phone.

10. stephen65

stephen65 Well-Known Member

I had a slow recharge problem until I went to Verizon and bought another type of charger cable that has a square plug where the USB cable plugs into. The square turns red when it's plugged into the wall. The new cable lets me recharge from about 70% left in right at an hour. With the cable that came with the phone it was taking nearly 4 hours.

But if you've tried other cables it sounds like you might have another issue. I just don't know what it could be.

funkylogik likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews