• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Slow droid. Sad droid. Upgrade droid.

fam

Android Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2009
Sylvania, OH
No matter than the rom and the overclock, my little droid that could just doesnt have the power I need to keep all my apps and widgets running without a 5-10 second delay sometimes when I turn the screen on. She plays games well once they are loaded but for the first minute she has quick pauses as she catches up...(yes my droid is a she). Then to make matters worse my coworker who knows nothing of phones or android brings in the verizon samsung continuum (spelling)...thing is blazing fast and the screen is gorgeous..I dont like the front end GUI or the phone itself but its apparent it will soon be time to upgrade...the 256 megs of ram is killing me.

Maybe a thunderbolt or a bionic..but heard the bionic may be summer till its out. Honestly would rather just have a dell streak but its not out for verizon.

Anyone else feel the same way?

.. my little droid that could just doesnt have the power I need to keep all my apps and widgets running without a 5-10 second delay sometimes when I turn the screen on.

That is terrible. No offense, I'm sure you're a tech savvy user here, but have you gone into the application manager and cleared caches lately?

Or used a cache cleaning app? ..etc. There could be a lot of reasons for the slow downs, but it sounds like your device is constipated and just needs a good cleaning out. ;)

Reactions: Iadwit
Upvote 0
I haven't seen the Continuum so it's not a fair comparison, but OCing and a snappy ROM should show a marvelous increase in phone performance. I have two Droid Incredibles on my plan and my Droid is pretty much on par with those.

I do recommend going into Settings > Applications > Running Apps to see what's running. Often times there's a lot more going than people realize. If it's not a widget, it probably doesn't need to be running. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
You're doing something wrong here. What ROM, what kernel, etc. are you using?

The Continuum is running 2.1, no way it should be miles ahead of your Droid. At 1 Ghz and still on Eclair, it should be slower than a Galaxy S phone like the Fascinate. And mine trounces my bud's Fascinate on benchmarks as well as side by side comparison. His stock, mine at 800 Mhz, so not even full-blast for me.

You need to run a good ROM and a good kernel that agree with each other. I can help you out with a few things, but they aren't allowed to be discussed on the forum so you can PM me if you're interested.

Otherwise, you should just realize that something isn't right, and no offense, but it seems to be a user-error, not the phone. But everyone here will help you fix it because we've all been in the same spot.

Upvote 0
Ultimate Droid 2.5 which only goes to 800mhz. Did a full wipe from UD 3.0 beta back to 2.5

The long delay isnt all the time...its only a few times when it will be a blank background and reload all the widgets slowly...or it will be sluggish when trying to answer a call and it will barely work right enough for me to drag left to right before the last ring....its always at the worst times...other times all the icons will be there and there will be no loading at all.

Only 41M free in memory which isnt enough ( I used to freak when it was under 100M)

Running services are

Fancy widget
Google Services Framework
Android Keyboard
(other L 57MB in 4\ Avail 18MB +72MB in 11)

under manage applications running it has

advanked task killer
android keyboard
android system
calendar storage
com.android.providers.applications
com.android.prociders.userdictioxxxx
Contacts storage
dialer storage
dialer
download manager
DRM protected content storage
facebook
fancy widget
gallery
google services framework
launcer
maps
media storage
messaging
music
settings storage
torch (led light app)
twitter

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones