1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Slow Image Load on Wifi Galaxy S8

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bnewbs28, Feb 10, 2018.

1. bnewbs28

bnewbs28 Lurker
    None

Feb 10, 2018
    I have a galaxy s8 and it will load images and videos very slowly or not at all when using twitter or tumblr on wifi. On LTE everything loads very fast.

My roommate also has a gs8 and he has the same problem. No other devices in the house seem to face this issue.

I have done a complete factory reset of my phone and the router and nothing seems to help.

My internet provider is Spectrum and I have 100mbps
    My router is a Linksys AC1200+
    I use the supplied spectrum modem (Cisco DPC3216)

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    So is that 100Mpbs the rated number Spectrum states in your billing statement, or is it a speed test result from a wired computer on your LAN, or is it a speed test result from your S8?

Also, is your S8 having WiFi slowness issues when using other WiFi networks or is it just when you're at home? Trying to determine if the problem might be phone related or a router issue. (Although with two S8 phones this would indicate a router/home network issue.)

3. bnewbs28

bnewbs28 Lurker
    None

Feb 10, 2018
    I just ran a speed test on my S8 using the google app and I got 52.1mbps down and 5.2 up. Over wifi about 10ft from the router.

It is strange because twitter and tumblr seems to load fine in the browser.

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    OK, so those are still pretty good bandwidth numbers. Do you have any kind of anti-virus/anti-malware app on your phone(s)? If so, try going into the app's settings and disable all its feature to see if that makes any improvement. Those types of utilities are a frequent cause for odd-ball connectivity problems, on phone and on computers.
    If you're only having this problem using your home WiFi (and elsewhere there's no problem nor a problem while using mobile data) it would appear to be a problem with some random router setting.
    -- Try disabling IPv6 in your Linksys router setup page.
    -- If that doesn't make any difference try setting up a test guest account using as minimum of options, just for basic connectivity, and see if the problem persists. If you don't have a problem while connected to this guest network, it might be easier to just create an entirely new primary WiFi network, with a new SSID and using the default options and then later lock things down accordingly once you determine things are working OK.
    -- Also, if you're connecting your S8 to a 2.4GHz network, try a 5GHz network (or vice-versa).

5. bnewbs28

bnewbs28 Lurker
    None

Feb 10, 2018
    I set up the guest network and everything is loading perfectly. I don't quite understand what the difference, settings wise, there is between the regular and guest network.

6. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Then you might want to just set up a new primary network with a new SSID. Could just be some background config file on those two S8s tied to that original network. Depending on how many devices you have using your original SSID this might be a hassle but weigh your options. Can you get by having the S8 phones on the guest network?

Samsung Galaxy S8

Samsung Galaxy S8