• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Slow" internet symptom - is this normal?

JimR123

Nov 15, 2009
UK
Hi all,

I'm finding that when I browse to a webpage on any site, using the default Hero browser, that most of the time the progress bar sticks at about 10% for a good few seconds (say 5-10) and then either starts loading the page, or fails with a "page not found" type page.

It does it on many different types of websites (small simple ones and big complicated ones).

It does it whether I'm on wi-fi or out and about (er, GSM is it?).

The Market app is also quite slow to load the first bit of data.

I am on Vodafone, and have already turned off their "Content Control". I have a horrible feeling that it'll still be checking with their server before downloading a page.

Anybody else see this pause at 10% progress in the browser?

Tried Steel, and still the same problem.

Another thing I've noticed is that it doesn't seem to pause so long the second time around.

It's almost as if the data connection goes to sleep after a few seconds, and then takes 5 seconds to wake up when you start requesting web pages.

I notice there's an "Enable always-on mobile" setting, which I've now turned on, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I'm guessing this only has an effect when not using wi-fi anyway...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones