• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slow lagging Droid 4

So I know that my phone was produced around 2012, so it is about 2 years old at this point, slowly going on 3 years. I also understand that the constant app and software updates can be a bit much for the phone to handle, since technology continues to progress-- but the 2012 Motorola Droid 4 doesn't.

I'm having a lot of phone lag and it is very frustrating. I've tried to downsize my apps, use a cache/history cleaner. I run an antivirus on it regularly, just in case. I did look at some other forum advice before posting on here. This is what I gathered so far: reset phone, root phone, use cache cleaner, get rid of bloatware, turn off auto sync data, format/change SD card.

I don't want to go through the hassle of rooting the phone. I just don't feel that is an option worth my time and if I mess up, then I'm stuck. I've already installed the cache cleaner and have that running daily. I've tried to get rid of some apps, but the bloatware apps obviously won't go away without rooting or some other sort of tampering. I considered turning off the auto sync data, but I really do like having everything connected. I like my apps to notify me and such. I like my g-mail to let me know when I have a new e-mail. I like my facebook to notify me when I get a new post. I don't really want to turn off my notifications. I will say though that I do think the constant app software update as well as the android OS software update could be slowing the phone down-- but I'm not sure if I want to commit to doing a complete system reset. I just found an old SD card that I put in the phone tonight. It had some music and photos on it. I transferred the photos to the computer then deleted them off the SD card. I left the music on there--- because I like music.

I feel like I'm at a standstill. I feel like I will have to sacrifice to get the phone running smoother, but I don't really know if it will work.

I like my facebook, candy crush, farm heroes saga, plants and zombies, instagram etc. I feel like I will have to take away everything just to get the phone to run. it is ridiculous. It was very slow today. I don't use a live wallpaper. I do have several apps on the home screens. The battery life is poor as well, but I think that's because the phone is going on 3 years old at this point.

A little bit more background on me here. I'm trying to make this phone work because it has to be my rock for the next 2 months until I upgrade my contract in January. I have a Motorola Razr which is the same age, that it sitting dead in my desk. I tried to use that phone for about 2 months and it got so slow it couldn't even function.

My original phone when I started my contract was a Nokia Lumia 822. I'm not going to get into the details about how terrible of a mistake I made deciding to try out a windows phone.... Basically I went through THREE phones in less than 9 months into the first year of my contract... I currently have a Nokia Lumia 928. It works like a gem.... but it's a damn windows phone. They are horrible. I even compared the apps windows vs android. The app developers stop updating the windows phone apps. I just switched to this Motorola Droid 4 this week, (hand me down from mom) and I saw the difference in the apps once I checked out the google play store. Made me hate windows phone even more. But my point in all this is that I am trying hard to get this Motorola Droid 4 to get me through the next couple of months until my contract ends in Jan.

Advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to Android Forums.

I have no idea what the various cache cleaner apps do.

Did you Wipe Cache Partition? It can become fragmented over time and really slow things down. From the Motorola website ...

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.
1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + POWER KEY .
2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to SELECT
Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.

4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)
5. Press and hold the VOL DOWN key, then tap and release the VOL UP key.
Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 5, try a force reboot by pressing the power Key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.
6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)
7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to SELECT this option.
8. The device will then perform the partition wipe
9. Once the Formatting is complete, press the POWER key to confirm a REBOOT
11. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .

(Make sure you to NOT accidently select the Factory Data Reset Option. I Wipe Cache Partition on my Droid Maxx every Saturday.)

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones