• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Slow LTE speeds.

Well... After hrs of driving.. To keep y@ll updated... Tested other LTE bands..not good crappie signals... Band 12 for the central FL its still weak... @ least find out that we can open other bands (gsm,wcdma,lte) even internationals...explore more with the LTE bands from att we can make phone hook on those extended areas to catch some lte week but we can till connect data...
Well let keep testing and learning...
Funny I was just about to post. I downloaded lte discovery, and here too it seems like band 12 is slower than when it switched to band 4. Maybe they're just starting to deploy more band 12 in Florida?. Anyway, today the tower was terrible band 12 0.19 band 4 was at 0.59 no h+ and no 2g for some reason. Now I can only pick up band 12 it seems and it's at 2.5 edit : band 4 now 5.39, better. I do appreciate your help and your trips will be helpful for when I go up north. Thanks again. Anthony.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krlypumaa
Upvote 0
Hi, this phone just isn't there with Internet speeds. Lately daytime is dead slow unless I'm right next to a tower. Tmobile apn for some reason isn't working either not sure what's going on. Thank you for any help y'all can provide.
Thank you.
Anthony.
To be honest its not this ph bit many other devices... Hav friend n fam asking me about it cus they knw i like to tweak my stuff... Anyways... I think its something with our providers. :thinking:

Upvote 0
To be honest its not this ph bit many other devices... Hav friend n fam asking me about it cus they knw i like to tweak my stuff... Anyways... I think its something with our providers. :thinking:
Honestly it does seem so. There are times where my h+42 is twice as fast as my lte. Last night was just the case I got like 3.5 on lte, however I switched to 4g to see and I got 7.18 unbelievable. Either way thank you for all the help I hope it gets better.
Anthony.

Upvote 0
Honestly it does seem so. There are times where my h+42 is twice as fast as my lte. Last night was just the case I got like 3.5 on lte, however I switched to 4g to see and I got 7.18 unbelievable. Either way thank you for all the help I hope it gets better.
Anthony.
You're welcome... Im gonna keep this on check...

Upvote 0
Anthony.

The bottom of every MetroPCS plan on their page,

**MetroPCS customers’ data is prioritized below data of T-Mobile-branded customers at times and locations where competing network demands occur, resulting in relatively slower speeds. See metropcs.com/openinternet for details.

Maybe your area doesn't have a lot of towers and does have a lot of Tmobile connections. Also, Band 12 isn't faster, its slower. Lower frequency for better building penetration.

My speeds do the same, just not as bad as you have listed. Can hit 12-40 on good days, same area some days hit 5

Upvote 0
The bottom of every MetroPCS plan on their page,

**MetroPCS customers’ data is prioritized below data of T-Mobile-branded customers at times and locations where competing network demands occur, resulting in relatively slower speeds. See metropcs.com/openinternet for details.

Maybe your area doesn't have a lot of towers and does have a lot of Tmobile connections. Also, Band 12 isn't faster, its slower. Lower frequency for better building penetration.

My speeds do the same, just not as bad as you have listed. Can hit 12-40 on good days, same area some days hit 5

does anyone know how to force the phone to stay on the faster band 4?

Upvote 0
Well like i said before setting apn IPv4 only for protocol or ipv4/v6 now if its simple just toggle data on n off and with lte discovery u can monitor.
i dont understand what the band has to do with ipv4/v6 (but i have it set to v4/v6)? and yeah i know i can monitor what band im on but im asking if there is a way to force the phone to always use band 4?

Upvote 0
i dont understand what the band has to do with ipv4/v6 (but i have it set to v4/v6)? and yeah i know i can monitor what band im on but im asking if there is a way to force the phone to always use band 4?
Its a bit complicated.. ...
Now yes its a way... But you need to knw how to work with QPST or QXDM tools...

Upvote 0
I dont believe there is any way to force a channel. I watched mine on LTE Discovery, it started band 12, stayed there.......then went to 4 on its own. I think it negotiated enough of a better signal - as it should on its own.

Yeah Im fuzzy on this logic as well

APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6 (default)

-or-

APN protocol: IPv4

Upvote 0
thats correct... Tmo its trying to push band12 over for coverage... like metro started in the past..with 3g and then been the largets LTE coverage in.. not like vzn or att.. now by us running on the gsm spectrum change the game because even our wcdma its not been reached,, you will know that by changing your device to wcdma only,.. or other radios.. it will take time cus its still many devices with old radios,,,
now the radion on our phone will go to band4 cus its the one providing the most data need it...
I have turn on and off bands see on post#24 http://androidforums.com/threads/slow-lte-speeds.938532/#post-7071580
I knw how to work with this cus this it what i first learned when android came out.
plus unb, unlocking n unlocking phs carrier.. etc...
Now its many things you can do like tweaking files in root/data/properties.. telephony.apk, dcm.setting.xml, etc,etc.. now its all about taking the risk like everything...

IPV6 its default
IPv4 its extencion or broad
IPv4/v6 bridge type
I recommend IPv4/v6 ...
when i tether to external servers i do v4
n disable ipv6 on my network. and use my vpn for my raw files..(faster)...

Reactions: viperdink
Upvote 0
700mhz service? how fast will that be in comparison to band 12 and band 4? now im even more confused

edit oh wait i just read this in the article

T-Mobile says it has deployed LTE on Band 12 700MHz in 170 markets around the country.

so 700mhz service is band 12? but i already had band 12 access for quite a while according to the lte discovery app...

Upvote 0
700mhz service? how fast will that be in comparison to band 12 and band 4? now im even more confused

I know very little about these matters, & as a lot of folks I presume,are just as confused w/the terminology/naming of the frequencies.
Band 12 is 700MHz,seems the higher the band number(which I'm guessing is the 700MHz's "name",for lack of a better word),the lower frequency,which is better for building penetration.
http://www.tmonews.com/700mhz-lte-map/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies

Upvote 0

edit oh wait i just read this in the article

so 700mhz service is band 12? but i already had band 12 access for quite a while according to the lte discovery app...
By saying that we have LTE band12 capabilities means that we have radio that can reach( read) that signal... Now its lime everything... The more people with those capabilities yhe more speed we can get... Now for example n forgive me cus im 37yrs old but old-school... If you fit 80ppl in a bus they will reach together to the destination but slower... If you fit 10ppl in a '85 1.8 toyota corolla you migth get there a bit faster... Now if you give 1000ppl a banshee they will get there faster y through whatever.

I know very little about these matters, & as a lot of folks I presume,are just as confused w/the terminology/naming of the frequencies.
Band 12 is 700MHz,seems the higher the band number(which I'm guessing is the 700MHz's "name",for lack of a better word),the lower frequency,which is better for building penetration.
http://www.tmonews.com/700mhz-lte-map/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies
You are correct. Its like FM n AM the lower the frequency the farthest reaches.

Upvote 0
Ok... I have been messing around with issues with band12 lte slow data. And this its what i have come out with in the past 2 weeks. Its kind of stupid but by removing HIPRI from apn will
Make radio stay on high freq un less it can not be reached so radio will drop search to lower freq. And will then connect to band12. Feq.... It has been a two intensive test with freq.meters n. QPST & QXDM. :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Upvote 0
Ok... I have been messing around with issues with band12 lte slow data. And this its what i have come out with in the past 2 weeks. Its kind of stupid but by removing HIPRI from apn will
Make radio stay on high freq un less it can not be reached so radio will drop search to lower freq. And will then connect to band12. Feq.... It has been a two intensive test with freq.meters n. QPST & QXDM. :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
so just delete hipri from apn type? which would leave the apn type as "default,supl,mms"?

Upvote 0
I have "hipri" listed on my settings. It grabs band 4 most times when it can, and drops to 12 in bad signal times.
It also goes back to band 4 when it can, on its own.

Are you saying remove hipri, so if it cant stay on band 4, it gets nothing? Is that what you are saying.
(Forced higher band = cant negotiate lower band lte = hspa+)

I would rather have "slower" LTE then HSPA+
If a phone cant negotiate signal on band 4, forcing it to stay there doesn't make it faster.

Upvote 0
I have "hipri" listed on my settings. It grabs band 4 most times when it can, and drops to 12 in bad signal times.
It also goes back to band 4 when it can, on its own.

Are you saying remove hipri, so if it cant stay on band 4, it gets nothing? Is that what you are saying.
(Forced higher band = cant negotiate lower band lte = hspa+)

I would rather have "slower" LTE then HSPA+
If a phone cant negotiate signal on band 4, forcing it to stay there doesn't make it faster.
Yes n no by leaving or forcing it in band4 your radio signal will not drop everytime u pass under, a bridge, a tree, walk inside a building, get in your car, etc?etc... LOL... Now by going into hspa+ the advantage is that as for now hspa+ its in all markets... And data its running from 11mps to 48mps when LTE band12 its running between 2- 11mbs... LTE band 4 its running betwen 22-84mbps depending market... The only dif. Its ping. Which is a bit of a drop besides that i rather have lteband4 with hspa+ n stay in the 20-40-80mbps then lteband12 that behaves like a gprs6.!

Edit.. Now those with 4G devices only hspa21 its all they have. 3-15mbps

Upvote 0
I have a metro stylo and one thing that helped a little was to switch to T-mobile apn.

Here's the t-mobile apn I'm using in case anyone needs it...
Code:
Name:
T-Mobile

APN:
fast.t-mobile.com

Port:

MMSC:
http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

APN type:
default,supl,mms

APN protocol:
IPv4/IPv6

APN roaming protocol:
IPv4
For the rest you leave the default. Then save and reboot your phone.
This is the first thing I do with new phone. I do add everything under apn type:
default,mms,supl,admin,hipri,dun,internet

Upvote 0
thats correct... Tmo its trying to push band12 over for coverage... like metro started in the past..with 3g and then been the largets LTE coverage in.. not like vzn or att.. now by us running on the gsm spectrum change the game because even our wcdma its not been reached,, you will know that by changing your device to wcdma only,.. or other radios.. it will take time cus its still many devices with old radios,,,
now the radion on our phone will go to band4 cus its the one providing the most data need it...
I have turn on and off bands see on post#24 http://androidforums.com/threads/slow-lte-speeds.938532/#post-7071580
I knw how to work with this cus this it what i first learned when android came out.
plus unb, unlocking n unlocking phs carrier.. etc...
Now its many things you can do like tweaking files in root/data/properties.. telephony.apk, dcm.setting.xml, etc,etc.. now its all about taking the risk like everything...

IPV6 its default
IPv4 its extencion or broad
IPv4/v6 bridge type
I recommend IPv4/v6 ...
when i tether to external servers i do v4
n disable ipv6 on my network. and use my vpn for my raw files..(faster)...
In NYC(Stylo) I immediately lose signal when trying this, and immediately regain it upon reverting to settings that came with phone:
Protocol=6
Roaming=4

HOWEVER, a year ago on previous phone Samsung Advance the default settings were bridge mode...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones