• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
For the past couple weeks I've had the problem of the phone taking a long time to turn off. This started shortly after installing the 2.1 update. Tonight I turned the phone off and nearly ten minutes later I finally heard the shutdown sound. Sometimes it takes 3 minutes, sometimes later. I have found that if I don't hear the shutdown sound I can press the power button and the screen will come back on then it will shutdown.

Is anyone else having this problem? I'm not really sure what would be causing this problem because I've checked it before and haven't had any extra running services other than the keyboard and voice input services when it was turning off.

Thanks for any help you all may be able to give.

Yes, I have had the same problem. It doesn't happen all of the time but enough to be annoying. I notice that if you don't hear the shutdown message and then if you pull the physical keyboard out, the "powering off" screen will re-appear. Then it will eventually shut down. This had never happened prior to the 2.1 upgrade. This is only one of the annoyances caused by the 2.1 upgrade. Everyone was complaining about how slow Verizon was on releasing 2.1 but I think they released it too soon before ironing out all of the bugs.

Upvote 0
I don't have any official news...just what we've discovered:

With 2.1, the phone now "ejects" the SD Card (which if it did it before, it didn't play the sound or display the message). This process slows down the shutdown (even on a freshly booted droid).

We found that several apps were preventing this ejection including large amounts of email delivery while attempting shutdown, as well as other apps that utilize the card.

By process of elimination, we were able to remove several of the apps, and rarely have the problem on any of our corporate phones now.

I'll see if I can pull the details on which apps we determined were direct causes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones