1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Slow WiFi Transfers on Android but not Laptop

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by klaxian, Dec 22, 2011.

1. klaxian

klaxian New Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Hi everyone. I have been searching for an answer to this problem for a long time. I found many posts on this forum and Google about WiFi issues, but I don't think they are the same as mine. Any help is appreciated.

Basically, I am trying to transfer files from a local file server (Linux PC with wired 1000Mbit/s ethernet connection) to my Android phone over WiFi. I have tried via Samba (CIFS), SFTP, and HTTP with AndSMB, AndFTP, File Manager, and a web browser. The problem is that files transfer to my device at 1MB/sec. On my laptop that is right next to the phone, I get about 7MB/sec. Both are connected with 802.11n WPA2.

I have had the same problem on both a Droid BIONIC and my new Galaxy Nexus - that means both Gingerbread and ICS. Why can't I make full use of my WiFi connection? Is this just a limitation of the Android operating system or the hardware in some way?

For comparison, transferring files over USB with PTP runs at about 10MB/sec. Unfortunately, MTP and PTP seem to be problematic on Linux systems and I'd really prefer a wireless alternative, but it takes a LONG time to transfer large movies at 1MB/sec :(

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. atek3

atek3 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Bump. Exact same issue. Transfers also slow over LTE (using OpenVPN into my linux server).

Have tried SFTP, CIFS, and SCP.