• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Slows down" what do they mean?

I luv trolling

Apr 28, 2012
Currently, I don't own a 4g phone for metro PCS so I don't have a 4g plan. I have recently been very interested in purchasing the moto x unlocked and activating it on metro. When they say "500mb of fast 4g data, then it slows down" what do they mean? Are the now throttling the 4g and if so how significantly or are they just dropping me down to 3g/EDGE/1X?

It doesn't switch you to the lower network. I don't think that would even be possible without having control over your phone. It keeps you on the 4G but slows down how much bandwidth you get. Considering that LTE is a battery hog, you might want to manually switch to 3G on your own if you are being throttled.

Upvote 0
They throttle all technologies thats the thing nd LTE's not really a battery hog anymore and it would still give overall better performance

It always was on my Connect and on my new Lightray it is proving to be. Mind you I don't always get the best Metro signal, but I usually see a drop of about 1% every five minutes on 4G, but if forced to 3G it is a much slower drain. Don't know if that is going to be the case on the Lightray since I cannot seem to find a way to force it to 3G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones