1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Smart phone insurance recommendations?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by RottnJP, Dec 11, 2011.

1. RottnJP

RottnJP Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    Aerospace Engineer
    CT, USA
    Hey, anyone have recommendations for the best smartphone insurance providers? (Me wifey is a wee bit hard on her phones)

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. saptech

saptech Android Expert
    None

RottnJP likes this.
  3. RottnJP

RottnJP Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    Aerospace Engineer
    CT, USA
    Yes, but VZW's is a rip. Pay their rate for a year, add the deductable, and you can buy a decent used phone. Wirefly's is more reasonably priced, with no deductible. I would go with Wirefly's, but you have to have bought your phone from them. (I got mine, and wifey's, from Amazon, and they don't offer an insurance plan, they just refer you to VZW.)

I heard about "Assurian" Need to look into that.

ETA: I just checked Mobile Advantage, and they don't cover Rezounds yet. I quoted it as if it was a Thunderbolt, though, and it is more reasonable than VZW's coiverage, at least. $50 dollar deducable instead of $100 or $150.

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Keep in mind that with some 3rd party insurance it may pay for breakage but not loss...

And some will require that you send the faulty phone in for evaluation of whether or not it can be repaired before they pay out on the claim.

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    VZW uses asurion. Like all insurance you will pay a premium for the contract period and if you have a claim you will pay a deductible to replace the phone. If they send you a phone that is defective you get 14 days to return it and have them send you another one. The deductible is around $100. I think you are limited to 2 claims yearly. As far as I can tell almost anything is covered that would be covered by a normal insurance policy.

There is also Phone Insurance I am not too impressed with their policy. The premium is less than asurion, the first deductible is $75 each time you file another claim the deductible raises $25, you are limited to 2 claims per year or 3 claims within 2 years. They exclude losses due to animals which seems odd to me. It looks like everything else that would be covered by a normal insurance policy is covered.

I check the policy for Laptop, Desktop, Tablet, iPad, iPhone and PDA/Smartphone Insurance and Warranty from Safeware Their policy appears more in line with asurions, the premiums are about the same and the deductible is much less. The policy excludes losses due to earthquakes, landslides, sink holes and other losses caused by the "movement of the earth" which would perhaps be an issue depending on where you live as well as claims for a lost phone (stolen phones are covered). Other than that it looks like almost everything else is covered as it would be normally. The company does have a restricted list of devices they cover but I would guess the list is expanding so if your device isn't listed now it couldn't hurt to get in contact with the company to see if your device will have insurance available in the near future.

The last company I found is https://www.phoneinsurance.com/index.php/smartphone-insurance.html They have a low premium as well but a $100 deductible. The policy is almost identical to the one at toughcell other than the deductible part with the only odd exclusion being losses caused by animals. Their only plan is a 2 year plan.

I personally like to use Asurion since I know they do a great job and pretty much anything is covered that I think should be, the only other insurer I think that seems to have a decent policy from what I read was safeware's but they only insure a limited type of phone.