1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Smart Switch (S6 to S7) is slightly useless...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by peterh337, Apr 16, 2016.

1. peterh337

peterh337 Android Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2015
    Male
    It turns out that

- apps are not transferred; it merely causes fresh ones to be installed from the appstore on the destination phone

- app data is all lost

- any apps which in some way "connect" with the phone's number (e.g. Whatsapp, Telegram) are not transferred

- TomTom GO stops working (see other thread - seems to be that it doesn't work on the S7)

- any contacts on the desktop end up pointing to wrong people!

- various apps don't work with the SD card (not a Smart Switch issue), saying Android no longer allows any app to save files to the secondary external storage

All in all, a day later, I still don't have a fully usable phone.

Advertisement

2. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert
    None

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    When i did the Smartswitch over OTG using the cable it did copy all the apps over, no downloading from google took place, so i dunno how you managed to mess that up, but it's user error on your part ;) And i did say in the other thread that all the app's settings are NOT copied over, you'd need root and something like a titanium restore to do that.

seVer likes this.
  3. peterh337

peterh337 Android Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2015
    Male
    I didn't use USB. The Smart Switch process ran over some unspecified channel which must have been WIFI. Both phones were on the same WIFI network. No config option was offered.

The S6 was rooted about a year ago so it runs an earlier version of smart switch. In fact I found it pretty hard to find the smart switch feature...

There is an obscure workaround for the non-access to the SD card: if you do manage to install an app to the SD card, it owns a particular directory and you can put data in there. It has full access to that path.

I really miss a rooted phone :) I will give this one a couple of months to get more updates and then I will root it.

I knew about the app settings but didn't realise just how many hours it will take to sort them out. And a non-techy user would be stumped.

4. Mark Bovill

Mark Bovill Lurker
    None

Nov 11, 2016
    Samsung Smart Switch is a useless piece of crapware from our Korean friends. When I used it to transfer content from my old S6 to my new Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, virtually nothing was transferred across. Pathetic. I am never using Smart Switch again.

5. seVer

seVer Android Expert

May 1, 2010
    Unknown. Previous VZW Tech Support for 7 years.
    user error all over the place. don't get mad because you used an old version. don't get mad because you didn't follow directions. don't get mad because you thought it would carry over individual application settings/information that could vary between devices.

note 4 > note 7 > note 7 > S7. did everything it needed to do, which is copy virtually ALL the data. if you can't follow directions or use outdated software, it's not the app/program that's at fault.

bIOforger likes this.
  6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Your fault for using a rooted phone with an older version of SmartSwitch. Transferred from Note 2 to S7 over WiFi with no issues.

bIOforger likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.