1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Smartactions post JB

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by budfox66, Dec 17, 2012.

1. budfox66

budfox66 Well-Known Member

Why wont smartactions allow for Mobile Data OFF when detect a WiFi Network now? If I set a trigger to detect wifi, s/a blacks out the mobile data option, and if i set an action to turn off mobile data, it blacks out the wifi under triggers...what gives? Since JB update I have not been able to setup a Work trigger, recognize my wifi router and disable mobile data. Cant do this at home now or at church! Anyone else having this problem?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. hansangb

hansangb Android Enthusiast

I saw an update to Smart Actions just now. Try updating it.

3. budfox66

Thanks, i updated s/a and no luck. still can't setup a work s/a with wifi "trigger" and turn off mobile data "action" at the same time. the set mobile data option is grayed out, if it set a trigger for detect wifi.

4. dhbuckley

dhbuckley Well-Known Member

I really would like to have a smart Action that only switches to known or truly open wifi networks. Now the phone constantly is fooled by pseudo open networks such as are commonly available from various cable providers for subscribers.

Is this possible with SA or Tasker or Locale--any or all?

5. tatootie67

tatootie67 Member

SomeTimes you have to create the profile from scratch instead of using the built in default ones. I've had the greyed out issue on default ones before, and even if you delete some of the rules it stays greyed out.

6. Raryn

Raryn Well-Known Member

Why would you want this?

When you're connected to a WiFi network, the phone doesn't use any mobile data... I don't even think it stays connected to 4G.

7. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

That's exactly my thought. 3G/4G data is disabled (signal bar grayed out) when WiFi access point is connected. There is no extra power drain from cell data connection.

So I don't see the point of setting up WiFi, data connection trigger in Smartaction or other apps like JD, tasker, etc. It's going to use more battery than just leaving WiFi on because the app needs to use GPS radio to determine your location for triggering WiFi.

8. budfox66

If you have a good signal, 4g, it doesn't matter, but when you are bouncing b/t 3 and 4g or weak signal, you don't need it if you have a good wifi conn. At home my wifi is full sig but cell/mobile data is always switching and does burn batt down. Don't need mob data if good wifi, everything works without mob data.

Could run on wifi only on the old s/a and before JB update, don't know why they changed it?

9. budfox66

mine is not grayed out when on wifi. there is less power drain if good cell data sig but will drain if not (like at my house). there is a point, trust me, and it was avail on prev s/a version, and before JB.

10. Sandroidfan

That's weird. So your signal bar stays in blue even when connected with Wifi? Mine just becomes gray with 4G or 3G icon on it, blue WiFi signal bars on the left side.

I agree that frequent 3G/4G bouncing is battery drain though. If you really want to avoid that at home, you can just turn off mobile data in main setting or using any power toggle widget.

11. budfox66

I know I can manually turn off data but then I forget to turn it back on and leave the house and miss calls and texts. It was just better with ICS and before s/a update

12. Sandroidfan

Turning off mobile data doesn't stop you from getting cell voice/text. 1X cell connection remains active unless you put the phone in airplane mode. You only lose 3G/4G data, which WiFi will replace anyway.

13. budfox66

im not trying to argue cause i dont know enough about this to...all i can tell you is that with ics when i got home the wifi shut down all mobile data and i ran everything off wifi flawlessly. when i got in the car, wifi shut down and mobile data came back on flawlessly. with jb this setup is not possible. i can shut down mobile data manually but when i leave wifi and forget to turn on mobile data again, i miss calls. then i have to manually turn on mobile data again.

is there a good app to replace smartactions?

14. Sandroidfan

For me, it's just fine to simply leave WiFi on and it just works everywhere I go.

But if you really need such functionality like that smartaction offers, you may try out "tasker" app from google play. It's paid app and I never used it. But I heard it's very capable with a lot of options.

15. hansangb

hansangb Android Enthusiast

Is there a reason to shut down Wifi? With the battery life, it's not really much of a "battery saver" any more. You can always tell Wifi not to annoy you every time it finds an open access point.

Motorola Droid RAZR HD / MAXX HD Forum

The Motorola Droid RAZR HD / MAXX HD release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 3300mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews