1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Smarter to buy directly from google or a major online retailer(newegg/amazon)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Shaneh39199, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Shaneh39199

Shaneh39199 Member
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    slaving away in the crappy labor market of the u.s
    USA
    title asks it all. If a situation occurred where i would need to send it back who would treat me better?

Im thinking newegg but i honestly have no idea what google's policy is if i buy directly from them. Anyone care to chirp in on this?

EDIT: Generation2 nexus7 32gb

Advertisement

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Im fairly certain Google will send you to the manufacturer, so in either case you'd end up dealing with Asus. :thumbup:

Google doesn't make the device, so I don't think its ultimately their responsibility for repairs

If you're talking refund, you shouldn't really have a problem with either. Both are reputable companies. Just make sure to check the return policy beforehand

3. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    I don't know how it will apply to you or the Nexus 7, but I have had nothing but AMAZING customer service from Amazon.

I once exchanged a kindle fire 10-months after purchase for a legit reason. But, as soon as I started to describe the reason I was interrupted by the agent. I was told I could return it and they would send me a new one. And I was to use the same box and the postage paid sticker on the inside to return the old one within 30-days of receiving the replacement. Couldn't be easier and my replacement arrived about 3-days after my call.

Other returns and exchanges with Amazon customer service have been equally pleasant.

4. Shaneh39199

Shaneh39199 Member
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    slaving away in the crappy labor market of the u.s
    USA
    Thanks guys @rxpert i didn't even realize till i click directly buy from google innnnnnn which theres no stores in a 50 mile radius that have it yet.

I have 1 more noob question: LTE. if i get this version i need to have a deal/contract with a wireless company or could i just turn it on and feed off the networks that it can find?

im thinking the first..? Right now im with virgin mobile so...(4g, LTE is a joke here in como missouri)

EDIT: also what are thoughts on extended warranties? worth the extra cha ching or does it just depend on the person and how well they take care of their gadgets lol

5. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    You will need to get a data plan from whoever want to get service through. Probably can do month to month though, so won't need a contract.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Depends how you use it.

My old nexus 7 is WiFi only, so it usually doesn't leave the house. Its biggest risk of being damaged is me stepping on it in the middle of the night :eek:

If you get the 4G version and find yourself taking it everywhere, its probably worth a little more protection

7. tedpc01

tedpc01 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Male
    Disabled
    North Carolina
    I have the 2013 Nexus 7 32GB Wi-Fi model that I bought at Wal-Mart. I originally bought the 2012 version and literally a week and a half later the 2013 Nexus 7 came out. I reset my tablet, returned it to Wal-Mart and bought the new one. I'd recommend a local retailer that you can look in the face and Wal-Mart has lenient return policies. Gonna reset my tablet and take it back and get another one due to the touch screen issues. Might as well while I can!!!!

8. Hoosiermama

Hoosiermama Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 24, 2010
    I had the original Nexus. Actually I had two of them. The first broke when my grandson dropped it. The second one I purchased at Staples on a whim (or withdrawal! :)). With the second, I bought their protection plan.

Last week, I dropped it. I took it back to Staples with my paperwork. They didn't have any of the new ones in stock, and I could have gotten the original at a good discount (but what's the fun in that?). I had the new one in hand in two days, and they didn't even want the old one back. I'm going to try replacing the screen and digitizer.

From that standpoint, if you want a protection plan, I'd say go local.

Now let's hope I don't drop this one...yeesh.

9. pseudoware

pseudoware Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    NorCal
    Another vote for a local retailer if available to you. All office supply, big box stores, etc. within several miles away said they were out-of-stock. I found out online that GameStop sells the N7, and a store 4 miles away had a couple. Just another option, I guess people tend not to think of GS for tablets.