• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smarter to buy Galaxy Nexus than Galaxy S3 because of Jelly Bean upgradability?

Despite being older and having worse specs than the Samsung Galaxy S3, would it make more sense to buy the Galaxy Nexus because it will likely be the first phone to get Jelly Bean?

Jelly Bean is supposed to make movements/screen response more smooth (Project Butter) and make OS appear faster.

Since the Nexus would get this update before the S3, would the performance improvements from Jelly Bean outweigh the better specs of the S3?

Also, how quick is Sprint to release updates for the Nexus? Would it take just as long for Jelly Bean to be released on the Nexus as it would the S3?

And while I know that everything surrounding Jelly Bean is, at this time, purely hypothetical, I'm mostly asking about previous release cycles/trends

Thanks!

If you look at Samsungs track record of updating the Galaxy S phones, they take quite a long time to update after the version of Android is out. This is especially true for the American versions. If you're open to rooting and installing a custom ROM, getting JB for an S3 wouldn't take too long, maybe just a few weeks after JB hits AOSP.

Upvote 0
Right now I have a 4s 16gb on Verizon but I've always traded phones and usually on Android. I have a guy locally that I've traded with a couple of times in the past a GNex with a couple of cases extended battery etc. and he wants to trade me for my 4s plus 100 in cash. Should I jump all over that or wait and sell the 4s and just get the S3.

Upvote 0
I just bought a Galaxy Nexus from Google, and have an SIII here as a test device from work. Both are really sweet phones.

If you're concerned about getting 4.1 quickly, go with the gnex, as Samsung will probably take a little while to get Jelly Bean out to the SIII.

If you aren't to worried about 4.1, and if you like Touch Wiz (I happen to think Samsung did a really nice job on TouchWiz), the SIII is amazing.

I know this probably doesn't help much, but my opinion right now is that it would be hard to go wrong with either. This is an awesome time to be a geek.

-SF

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
I just ordered the unlocked Galaxy Nexus for $349. That is such a good deal. I will be coming from two years with the iPhone 4, and an really looking forward to having the pure google experience with JB. Google really spanked Apple this year with this update. The only things that concern me are the screen and camera are kinda worse than the iPhone. Also going to 16gb storage from 32gb will take some getting used to...<br />
<br />
How is the battery life on the GSM Galaxy Nexus?

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your great replies!

I would ask what features of JB you really need. Is the SIII really that choppy?

Project Butter is the main reason I'd like Jelly Bean. I prefer the vanilla android on the Nexus, and if the Jelly Bean update will make it work smoother I would probably rather but the Nexus than the Galaxy S3. I hate all of the bloatware and restrictions that come on the Samsung/HTC phones.

Upvote 0
I've had the Verizon GNEX since launch day, and I'm on my 3rd one for a lot of different reasons, but all 3 have had reception issues and complete loss of signal at inopportune times. Sure, the GNEX is my first choice and would prefer to keep it, and sure, Jelly Bean probably is going to be awesome, but only if you don't have other issues preventing you from using your GNEX for its intended purposes. I have had too many issues and it is proven unreliable too many times, forcing me to sadly preorder the S3 last night before Verizon's crazy share plans take effect. I am crossing my fingers that the S3 will get better reception/signal so that I can actually use it, even if it is a little less "buttery" than Jelly Bean. I really don't WANT to switch to an S3 but feel I NEED to. I never imagined I would be in this predicament. Argh! I'd say if you don't have issues with your GNEX and it's reliable, KEEP IT!!!! Otherwise if you can pony up the funds move on to another device.

Anyone want to buy a GNEX with 2 battery chargers and 5 batteries? :)

Upvote 0
I've had the Verizon GNEX since launch day, and I'm on my 3rd one for a lot of different reasons, but all 3 have had reception issues and complete loss of signal at inopportune times. Sure, the GNEX is my first choice and would prefer to keep it, and sure, Jelly Bean probably is going to be awesome, but only if you don't have other issues preventing you from using your GNEX for its intended purposes. I have had too many issues and it is proven unreliable too many times, forcing me to sadly preorder the S3 last night before Verizon's crazy share plans take effect. I am crossing my fingers that the S3 will get better reception/signal so that I can actually use it, even if it is a little less "buttery" than Jelly Bean. I really don't WANT to switch to an S3 but feel I NEED to. I never imagined I would be in this predicament. Argh! I'd say if you don't have issues with your GNEX and it's reliable, KEEP IT!!!! Otherwise if you can pony up the funds move on to another device.

Anyone want to buy a GNEX with 2 battery chargers and 5 batteries? :)

Lol! Five batteries. That's more than what I use 'cause man, LTE is a battery killer!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones