• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smartlife, cloudedge and aitwit notifications problem

I work for a company where we install video doorbells (not Ring). We have a few models that have a particular problem with a widely used app. By now I'm desperate to find a way to solve this, because it's really affecting our customers experience with the product. This is a problem they are only experiencing on Android devices. I'm hoping someone here has had this problem, or a similar one, and has some insight I haven't thought about before. On Apple the apps work without a glitch.

This problem is not related to a specific phone brand, but it only occurs on recent Android devices. So we see this problem on Samsung (A and S series), Huawei, OPPO, OnePlus, Xiaomi, etc. But only on devices that were released in the last year or so. Older devices do not seem to have this problem, as of yet (or those customers have not yet contacted us).

Expected behavior:
Our video doorbells use either the Aiwit, Smartlife or Cloudedge apps. When someone rings the doorbell, the customer should get a screen as if they are receiving a call. They can either accept that call or decline it. When they accept that call, the app should launch and they should have a video and audio connection, seeing the person who is standing in front of their door.

What actually happens:
When the app is running on screen, we get the behavior as explained above.
When the app is running in the background or the screen is locked, the customer receives the notification tone, but no notification on screen. There is, however, a notification in the notification bar (the swipe down bar at the top of the screen, where all old notifications are shown). So no active notification on screen.

When does this problem present itself:
This problem presents itself whenever the apps aren't active on screen. So when:
  • The app is running in the background
  • The app is closed
  • The screen is locked and the app is running in the background
  • The screen is locked and the app is closed
How we have tried to solve the problem:
Below is a list of everything we have tried. None of these steps solved the problem.

Because this problem exists on a wide range of brands, the steps below were not possible on all brands (seeing how the settings menu's can varry widely from device to device).
  • Remove and reinstall the app
  • Set Apps > the app > Notifications > Show notification on lockscreen
  • Set Apps > the app > Permissions > Allow phone
  • Set Lockscreen > Show notifications
  • Set Lockscreen > Notifications > Show notifications on lockscreen
  • Set Notifications > Show on lockscreen
  • Set Notifications > Lockscreen > Show notifications
  • Set Permissions > Show notifications on lockscreen
  • Set Permissions > Notifications > Show notifications on lockscreen
  • Set Permissions > Lockscreen > Show notifications
  • Set Sound > More soundsettings > Lockscreen > Show notifications
  • Set Sound > More soundsettings > Show notifications on lockscreen
  • Unset Optimize > Battery > App-startup management > Automatic management
  • Set Optimize > Battery > App-startup management > Start automatically
  • Set Optimize > Battery > App-startup management > Secondary startup
  • Set Optimize > Battery > App-startup management > Active in background
  • Unset Phone > Battery > Close apps at lockscreen
  • Unset Phone > Clean > Clean memory > the app
All these steps have not solved the problem.

I work for a company where we install video doorbells (not Ring). We have a few models that have a particular problem with a widely used app. By now I'm desperate to find a way to solve this, because it's really affecting our customers experience with the product. This is a problem they are only experiencing on Android devices. I'm hoping someone here has had this problem, or a similar one, and has some insight I haven't thought about before. On Apple the apps work without a glitch.

This problem is not related to a specific phone brand, but it only occurs on recent Android devices. So we see this problem on Samsung (A and S series), Huawei, OPPO, OnePlus, Xiaomi, etc. But only on devices that were released in the last year or so. Older devices do not seem to have this problem, as of yet (or those customers have not yet contacted us).

Expected behavior:
Our video doorbells use either the Aiwit, Smartlife or Cloudedge apps. When someone rings the doorbell, the customer should get a screen as if they are receiving a call. They can either accept that call or decline it. When they accept that call, the app should launch and they should have a video and audio connection, seeing the person who is standing in front of their door.

These are all the manufacturers in China? Suggest you contact them, and see if they can suggest anything. Maybe there's a common problem with them?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones