• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SmartPad: help?!

~Cha~

Mar 31, 2010
Puerto Rico
hello! i've somehow stumbled upon this tablet called a "SmartPad" and the only thing comes to mind... what can i do with it! So far i've only managed to change the language from Chinese to English and thats about it.

I'd love to know more about this tablet and if anyone else has one; what have they done with it (as far as root or upgrading the OS)

here are the stats that i know

"SMART PAD" MID
Product # : CL - ARM M7
4gb (supposedly)
Firmware 1.5
Kernel Version: 2.6.25 rockchip version 1.2.7
Build Number: RK-1.3.2.eng.root.20100930.91510

What i'd like to do is strip pretty much all the chinese apps that i can from the system to see if it runs a bit snappier than what it already is. But getting any info on this "smartpad" is taxing at best. And if i do find the tablet the page is in russian or chinese and there is only so much google translate can do ....

any suggestions or tips,tricks with this thing would be awesome!

trying to prep the thing to be "e-book" reader mainly for my mother.

thanks in advance

After a couple of days of searching me and my friend found a way to change the language to english and remove all the chinese bloatware all in one fell swoop. Right now i dont remember where we found it since we just stumbled on it but its the "with russia with love" vr2 "root". It still has its quirks in chinese but the system runs much much snappier and a big +1, removed all the chinese apps. The market works like a charm ( ingrish!!!! yey) and so far so good.

i'll have to call my friend to look up exactly where i found this "with love from russia" vr2 so i can post it up here in case anyone else gets one of these tablets.

thanks for the answer johnnysanderstvtech

Upvote 0
Hi again. Sorry it took me some time to get back and answer this.

First off let's start giving credit where its due:
adeptus62
He was the one who actually posted the links and the instructions (my friend and i modified a step here and there but for the most part its spot on)

and sp0rtkticus: my friend who stayed up with me till the weee hours of the night/day trying to get this thing to work.

here is the page and the whole convo:
SmartPad-upgrade?,rootable?

@Zeflores

those link you posted up are were we got "from russia with love" files

with that you'll follow these steps:

- power off the device
- start the RKAndroidBatchUpgrade.exe
- select UPDATE.IMG file
- check for the BOOT Version - 4.10
- hold MENU (round) button
- plug the mini-USB cable
- install drivers (if you need)
- check for GREEN plate N.5
- click UPGRADE
- plate N.5 will yellow
- wait for device reboot
- unplug USB

The following link is a .zip file in which sp0rkticus packed up for anyone else who needs to download the "from russia with love" files but can't make heads or tails of the page. The file has all the files you need divided into three "easy steps" folders. The program, the .img file and the usb drivers.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Hope this helps out

Reactions: sp0rkticus
Upvote 0
Hi i have the same product but the build number its diferent its Build Number: RK-1.3.2.eng.root.20100827.91510 i suposse because its one diferent per product?

is it safe to do what u posted here, the rusia with love v2 and the steps u told us about for my tablet?'

im a little confused about doing it, because im new on this, did something similar but it was on a nokia 5530

Upvote 0
Hi there Rafilla

Well what ~Cha~ and I did was basically follow the steps described above.

Disclaimer: this guide is for educational purposes only and I will not be held liable for any unexpected behavior that ensues as a result of following these instructions.

The one thing that isn't completely clear is that when plugin in the USB, the slate needs to be OFF. Then press and hold the menu button while plugin in the USB on your computer, keep pressing that button until the computer will search and fail to find drivers on its own. Look up for the drivers in the USB drivers folder in the .zip (suggest that u decompress beforehand) and wait for them to be installed. Once that is done, you can follow the rest of the steps.

About that Build number, if you look closely its just the date of your build.
20100827-> 2010/08/27. After we applied this "update" our build number changed to 20101104, a much recent date than our original build. So far the slate is working fine, the only problem is that we can't seem to unhook the user from it, almost like a mindless zombie.
Hope it helps

PS: This is within Windows 7, I'm assuming that is should be the same procedure for all windows based OS. Don't know how it is done in any other OS, but nothing a quick search on the web won't fix.

UPDATE: Make sure that the cable your using is in working conditions, because if this process is interrupted by the cable and disconnects you are looking at a bricked tablet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones