1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Smartphone noob, protection questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by senseoffender, May 18, 2011.

1. senseoffender

senseoffender Newbie

Hi, just to give you a background, I am looking to get the Xperia Play in the US (once it's available for pre-order tomorrow). I have never owned a smartphone before, but I have a deep love for Sony and their PlayStatoin brand (I love gaming), and I think now is the time to make the move.

I wanted to ask, what kind of protection do you provide for the phone, or does it not need it? I'm talking cases, screen protectors, etc. Is this necessary? I'm a bit anal when it comes to taking care of my stuff, so keep that in mind.

I always hear of Invisible Shields. I ask you now, are they good? I also see these around: Sony Xperia Play FULL BODY LCD Screen Protector Skin | eBay

Anybody ever have any luck with those? I'm just wondering how you protect your phone, if at all.

I realize this is a small problem, but since I play on buying the phone next week, I figured it's best to be prepared when I finally get it!

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dewalist

dewalist Android Enthusiast

It is really a personal preference thing. I currently have a slim case on my Fascinate. Being that it is so thin to begin with, the extra thickness of the case isn't an issue. With the Play having a sliding mechanism and already being thick, I don't think a case will be a good solution (I tried a few cases on my slider Droid 2 and they all had one issue or another - and added to the bulk significantly. So for my Play I would rather have something like you describe - really just a protective sticker layer to prevent the occasional scratch. Check Amazon and UniqueSkins.com and SkinIt.com - they have different designs that are not just clear.

I also run my Fascinate without a screen protector. In over 9 months, I've been careful enough not to scratch it, and part of that is the supremely tough glass they use. I don't know if the Play has the same hard screen or not, so I'll likely get one - better safe than sorry.

3. DeadlyDazza

DeadlyDazza Well-Known Member

I've never bothered with any protection on my phones, but, like you, i have an issue that I am rather anal with.

I detest having anything in my pockets!

I can just about manage to have a phone in there so there's never any chance of the screen getting scratched by loose change or keys etc.

I have clumsily dropped my Play, once, from about 3 feet onto concrete floor & no damage done, back & battery even stayed on which surprised me!

4. senseoffender

senseoffender Newbie

Thanks for the input. It seems like if anything, I'll go with a thin protective cover. The case sounds like it'd be too bulky. I'll definitely check out those sites.

Thanks!

5. Ncaissie

Ncaissie Well-Known Member

I just ordered a cool skull case :)

6. tuddlefo

tuddlefo Lurker

This isn't gorilla glass right? Does it work comparably as well?

7. dewalist

dewalist Android Enthusiast

8. Ncaissie

Ncaissie Well-Known Member

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews