1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Smartphone without a data plan????

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by ckali7, Aug 21, 2010.

1. ckali7

ckali7 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    So the wife's dumbphone was stolen from Starbucks today after she left it on the table for 10 mins......Someone had already tried making calls, texts, and download ringtones by the time we had called VZ to deactivate. I'm guessing they texted themselves first so I called the number and politely asked them to return it. Anyway.......My question is this, now that we have deactivated it and probably won't be getting it back. Is it possible to pick up a used android phone (maybe a eris or moto droid1) and activate it without the data plan. She doesn't use that much data and would be fine only using it on Wifi at home or work. This would be a great option for her and would save us a bit of $$ by not having to add another $30 data package. Anyone know if this is possible??
    Thanks
    CK

Advertisement

2. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Avionics
    Android phones require some sort of data, I believe.

3. jayochs

jayochs Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Critical Infrastructure Protection Bureau, Office
    Brick, NJ
    yeah, you NEED to pay the data plan...sucks, i know haha

4. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    College Student
    NC
    all smartphones require data plans

5. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Operations Manager
    Rochester, NY
    Verizon requires a data plan. Particularly because there's so much data that gets sync'ed, they probably get people calling all pissed off that they have a $300 phone bill.

6. killadanny

killadanny Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Ha, I wish. :D

7. FramCire

FramCire Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Eris will cost you over $100 used. Is it really worth it wihtout Data?

8. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Sandy, UT
    Might be accurate if you added "on Verizon" to your statement (if indeed VZ requires a data plan). As it is, I have a phone smart Android phone on T-Mobile and it works just fine without a data plan. Many people have done this exact same thing. Mine connects via WiFi and runs just fine.

9. pwrshft99

pwrshft99 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2010
    I had a G1 over a year without a data plan. It still was a great phone and i had plenty of options for wifi.

Sure its more fun to have the data plan but you can do lots without one.

10. codeyh

codeyh Guest

VZW requires data plan, when you try to activate, it'll immediately trigger that you have to have it in the system.

11. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Pretty much this. Not even people working at Verizon can get around it. Its pretty much hard coded into their activation system.

12. JohnKuczek

JohnKuczek Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Central Ohio, USA
    Since this thread is in the Verizon forum, that should already be understood...

13. jlee444

jlee444 New Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Best solution for smartphone and no data plan is an Ipod.
    buy a refurb or used Ipod and velcro it to the back of your cheap no data plan phone. The ipod it is the same as an iphone but no phone has wifi and wifi is about everywhere and free.

14. wildland

wildland Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Helicopter Pilot
    Hah! That reminds me of this video...

15. methodob

methodob New Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I have a android captivate and a iPhone. My android doesn't have a data plan and picks up wi fi were ever it's offered. Works nicely except at home were wifi from Verizon has a wep pass code. After putting pass code in it worked then stopped ? Can't figure how to fix ?

16. substring

substring Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    A smart phone without data plan is no longer a smart phone. The "smart-ness" relies on data.

You might want to consider a featured phone instead. In this day and age, the featured phones are pretty good. For example, the Pantech Crux does not require data plan and it is a very nice phone.

17. urdaddi

urdaddi Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    West Florida

Any feature phone with VZW requires a data plan, similar to smartphones. This requirement has been there for quite a few months now.

18. SeekerOfTheWay

SeekerOfTheWay Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Bealls
    Florida
    The above poster said he uses his Android without a data plan, using wifi. I am probably going to do the same when my contract Is up. Cancel my account and use my phone with WiFi, since it's in many places.

To the poster that does this, what *doesn't work on my phone when using wifi only? I realize I won't be able to make phone calls, but I only use about 30 minutes a month now.

Doesn't Skype use data? Is there any other voip calling for Android? I'm looking forward to saving $68 a month!