1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SMS app crash, too many messages

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bimbeau, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Bimbeau

Bimbeau Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    Hi,

My text messaging app (the default) crashes all the time, I have one conversation that has 10000+ messages. I'm not able to delete the messages, not through the app itself (after a reboot the messages appear again), and also not via the settings menu (delete all cache and 'clear data' options).

Is there a way of fixing this? I'm running android 4.4 kitkat on a nexus 4. I'm ok with deleting all messages.

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    Welcome to Android Forums Bimbeau.:)

I moved this to the Nexus 4 forum where other device owners will be able to lend a hand.

D-U-R-X likes this.
  3. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    Messages are kept in dialer storage try deleting the data from that. Have you set the max number of messages for a conversation?

D-U-R-X likes this.
  4. Bimbeau

Bimbeau Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    I've set a maximum but it's apparently just ignoring that. I can't find the dialer storage thing, even after googling it. It's not in my apps list, nor can I find a way to delete something in Google Dialer (the basic phone call function).

5. lion7718

lion7718 Android Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2011
    I don't know if this will work or not, but since your on KitKat it's worth a try...
    download another text app like Chomp or Messaging, set that as the default program in settings/more/default SMS app than delete all the texts from the new app.

D-U-R-X likes this.
  6. Bimbeau

Bimbeau Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    That worked! I used hangouts to delete the messages. Thanks!

(pretty stupid though that the standard app can't do it...wtf?)

7. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

Jun 4, 2012
    VoIP/Telephony/IT Technician
    Bismarck, ND
    Just for the future, you can always export the messages with a number of tools if you need the information in those messages if for some reason you can't get the app to open... SMS can be backed up, exported into various formats, or dumped out as text with any number of different apps from the Play Store, but note in KK you may have to change the "Default Messaging App" to on of those apps before they can access the message database, then change it back to your app.

I periodically backup my SMS messages with SMS to Text app from the Play Store, you never know when having a copy can be handy in the future.

Also, I use Handcent for SMS, I have never run into an issue with too many messages... and I have had too many, way too many, in the past. :)

Tags: