1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

SMS app that can send/receive Japanese text messages?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Japanorama, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Japanorama

Japanorama Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Student
    I just installed Simeji to be able to type in Japanese. I tried to send Japanese using Handcent (and also installed the Japanese language pack for Handcent) to a couple friends who also have androids and can see Japanese on their phones (also with Handcent and the plugin for Japanese). However, when my side shows I sent Japanese (in a message bubble), their phone gets all sorts of numbers and characters. What can I do to fix this?

Also to note: I am sure this might be a multi-byte character issue on Android, as it might be converting it to unicode when it sends. That explains why I am able to read my own message bubble in Japanese on my phone but the recipient's phone shows numbers.

Advertisement

2. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    1) Have you tried using the default Android SMS app?

2) Is it possible it's a problem with your carrier not supporting this type of message?

3. Japanorama

None

Mar 24, 2011
    Student
    Just tried the default Android SMS app, still showing weird numbers. I am almost certain it's Virgin Mobile... I emailed them earlier today asking if that is the issue.

I read online in a few other forums that iPhones are able to send/receive Japanese text messages no problem. If there is only a way to mimic that method onto Androids...

4. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Just a thought... could you ask one of your recipients to install Handcent with the Japanese language pack to see if that helps.

If you are texting to a handset whose ROM does not natively support Japanese then I would expect it to be corrupted at the other persons phone.

As I say... just a thought. Hope it helps. :D

5. Japanorama

None

Mar 24, 2011
    Student
    Already tried this. My brother has the same phone and I had him use Handcent with the language pack. Still shows up as numbers :(

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I'm thinking it could be the carrier not supporting or encoding Japanese SMS properly. Is 'Japanorama' actually in Japan?

Not sure if this is relevant, but my UK version Galaxy S with European firmware, sends and receives Simplified Chinese(PRC) texts just fine using the default SMS app. This is in China using a Chinese carrier(China Mobile).

7. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Sorry to have wasted your time Japanorama. Just trying to eliminate all the possibilities.

As Mikedt suggests, if you are outside of Japan (Europe for instance), you should check with your carrier that they support Japanese coding.

8. Japanorama

None

Mar 24, 2011
    Student
    Interesting. I am sure it's the carrier, since you are able to send/receive simplified Chinese, obviously on a Chinese network. If that's the case, I wonder why some AT&T users with iPhones here in the USA have no problem sending/receiving these character-intense type messages.

Haha and no I'm in the US.

9. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Well, you said you are on Virgin Mobile. So, maybe AT&T supports it. I suppose it's possible that the iPhone is encoding the messages in a different way, but I'd check with your carrier first.

10. Japanorama

None

Mar 24, 2011
    Student
    I gave them a call today and found out they don't support Japanese over the network. This really sucks! Guess I'll resort to email... though the nice thing is, people living in Japan actually use email like SMS over here in the US, and SMS over there is not popular at all. So it's not a big deal, I suppose. It'll be a little interesting to communicate with my Japanese class friends here though.

11. YoshiFtJ

YoshiFtJ Lurker
    None

Mar 19, 2012
    I had this issue texting my girlfriend, she also has Virgin Mobile.

The solution I came up with was to use Google Talk. Works as simply as SMS does and supports the Japanese characters over the network.

12. linguarum

linguarum Lurker
    None

Jan 14, 2013