• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sms backup and restore

I just received a replacement phone from Verizon because of a camera issue and went to backup my texts before resetting my old and activating the new one. I used SMS Backup+ and SMS Backup and Restore (wanted to maximize my chances ;)). Backup+ uses Gmail, as I think stated above, but it takes forever. I think it took close to an hour to backup my 4700 texts to Gmail over 3G (I was driving to work, so couldn't use WiFi), and I had to send my wife a text at one point, whereupon it appears to have cut short the backup process.

Backup and Restore was *very* fast, since it simply backs everything up as an XML file on the SD card, but it only saw 4680 texts.

So I'm not at all sure my most recent ones got backed up, but the vast majority did between the two programs.

Upvote 0
I use Google Voice. It's not really an SMS backup app but messages are stored in the GV account. The messages on the device are just synced with the GV account so if anything happens to the device (lost, stolen, broken, new device,switching to an entirely different OS, etc) I can just load the GV app again sync. However, if messages are deleted from the GV account and purged from trash that's it.

With GV, messages are accessible and can be sent/received via the GV site.

Upvote 0
efi.antypa;[URL="tel:3295907" said:
3295907[/URL]]I have a samsung galaxy 550 and i saved to sdcard a csv file of sms, but it's not possible to read the file. How can i transfer the messages from nokia 6700s to samsung?

I use SMS backup and the best way is to have it to save all SMS to your gmail. It creates a folder and automatically places the SMS in there. You can even view the text in your e-mail. Its really cool and places all SMS in the order of the individual.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I ve waited too long to update my android OS it's still on 1.0 and now I want to update it, I cant backup my sms nor contacts (they're phone contacts unf, not google contacts) , because the back up apps are incompatible with 1.0. Can anyone find a workaround for this? so i basically want to upgrade my Android and not lose contacts and sms. thanks

Upvote 0
I have been trying for many hours to get this stupid 'Nokia2AndroidSMS' to convert the .csv file so I can transfer the xtml file it makes to the Android phone. But it tells me that ovi has not sync the messages, which I know it has already. But the new ovi suite backups all sms, contacts, documents and calender all together. It is ridiculous. I'm guess this is why 'Nokia2AndroidSMS' cannot find the sms file. So I managed to export just the messages to an .csv file but now I do not think Android reads the csv file, does it? And how do I restore all the sms onto the new SGSII phone that has been saved has a .csv file? Any free programs that does this? I have been looking like mad...Now I am getting tired.

I used nokia suite to syc all sms and then tried to use nokia2androidsms. It created an xml file of 59kb only! which of ocurse is very little, right? It does this everytime. It does not seem to work with the sms backup and restore prog of urs..! i tried converting the csv file to xml by other ways…but still same problem.

Fustrated like HELL!!!! Why does things have to be sooo complicated? I've been trying for over 3 days now....Really disappointing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones