1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SMS Backup & Restore

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bigx5murf, Jan 6, 2012.

1. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Member
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    On my last phone (sony ericsson xperia x10), I had about 10k text messages backed up with the app SMS Backup & Restore. When I tried restoring those backups on my skyrocket, the phone crashed hard into an infinite reboot loop. I had to wipe it and restore, or restore a nandroid to get the skyrocket functioning again.

Anyone have any success transferring backed up text messages from another phone?

Advertisement

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    From everything I have seen over the past two years any amount of txt msgs over 5000 seriously jacks up any android device

Every single time I see this I wonder why in the world someone needs all of those lol

Mine are backed up and the back up files moved to box.
    Net or dropbox

3. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Member
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Well, in my line of work, people tend to "not remember" what they've said, or "change it". Even if the backups won't stand in a court of law, it helps me stay a step ahead.

Could you give me more information on how you backup text messages? If I could open the backups I've made from my last phone, that would help greatly.

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    I am able to view them as text files on my PC...or you can use the app to view the backups.

In your situation you might even checkmark the "selected conversations" box in the settings

This way would allow you to categorize them by topic/person etc

That helps you moving forward (unless you still have the old phone...if you still have it create new categorized back up files)

Uploading the back ups to a cloud service gives you access to them from anywhere.

Consider also the idea of emailing them to yourself (top right icon in SMS backup and restore)

bigx5murf likes this.