1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SMS cannot receive the ^ character

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by maxxgong, Sep 23, 2014.

1. maxxgong

maxxgong Lurker

Hey forum,

I know that my question maybe a little specific, but I've looked everywhere and have not found a solution.

The problem is that my phone cannot receive the character "^" I'm sure that this is part of a bigger problem, but I can't for the life of me figure out what, and how to solve it. I have gone into Messages > Settings > Input Method and changed it to Unicode, and now when I send the character to myself it seems to work. However I have not tested it out with my friends, and I will update when I do.

That being said, I do not like the default SMS app, and was hoping that there was a solution that could allow me to use other SMS apps as well. Thank you all kindly, and I hope I can fix this soon.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Haggi

Haggi Newbie

It's not easy to find a good answer on the net about this issue, but some information can be found..

It all about GSM character sets.

Some carriers only allow 7 bit character set (table) which is numbers and letters and basic characters, some carriers will accept extended characters (8 bit) like your Caret..and you have the iphones that convert the sms to 16 bit to include emojii's when texting between iphones. More or less like mms.

Carriers does these convertings automaticly to be sure the txt-message will show up properly on receivers display/device.

Soooo...to pin it down... your or receivers carrier obviously strip your texts to 7 bit character set, and put in Space instead of your caret.

My sms > Input Method is set to Automatic
    Have you btw noticed when inserting caret, it count as 2 characters?

I use Whatsapp as messaging app, it will accept anything, except hot coffee :thumbup:

3. maxxgong

maxxgong Lurker

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

Sadly, what I'm getting from your message is that it cannot be fixed, right?
    Unless I switch carriers?

The problem is that my friends here do not use WhatsApp so I cannot make them all change to it just because of me. But thank you very much.

4. Haggi

Haggi Newbie

Some others may jump in with another solution on this topic, but I am pretty sure this is ruled by simcard and carrier.

Who is your carrier? Maybe some others on same carrier can confirm this behavior..

BTW.. Whatsapp messenger need a dataplan with your provider/carrier, but I'm sure you allready knew that ;-)

5. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

I'm a little confused- is this what you're talking about?

[​IMG]

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 13MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3200mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews