• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS / Contact Display Question

M

Member190728

Hi everyone,

I've had a search about the internet and this forum for an answer / eureka moment to my question but can't seem to find anything so I suspect it might not be possible.

Anyhoo...

The majority of my contacts have pictures against them and I'd like to see their ugly mugs when I receive a text from them instead of the notification bar in the top of the screen - is this possible?

Thanks

J

ok, follow up question...

Is there any way I can disable the default sms program / client to stop me having to view and subsequently delete two messages?

If you go into the defualt message app, click Menu->Settings you can turn notifications off, so that only your new message app will alert you.

I think that is right.

Reactions: Member190728
Upvote 0
Thanks StereO, I figured that might be the workaround, shame there's not a more permanent option!

Other than taking space theres nothing that bad about this other than possibly some memory usage. Both apps will be reading the same internal database of messages so there isn't any duplication of data. Its just like having Internet Explorer and Chrome installed at the same time, you just choose your default but the others there if you still need it for any reason.

Upvote 0
Other than taking space theres nothing that bad about this other than possibly some memory usage. Both apps will be reading the same internal database of messages so there isn't any duplication of data. Its just like having Internet Explorer and Chrome installed at the same time, you just choose your default but the others there if you still need it for any reason.

I'm not sure why or even if it bugs me to be honest, I think it's the tinkerer in me that wants to preen and prune to my hearts content!

Thanks for the recommendation - seems to be working out pretty well so far:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones