1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

SMS contacts showing up under incorrect names

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by megsch525, Oct 8, 2017.

1. megsch525

megsch525 Lurker
    None

Oct 8, 2017
    I have a galaxy s8, and today I received a text from my mother in law, but it showed as my mom texting me. My mother in law is in my contacts with her first and last name with no picture, but when I received the text it showed up under "mommy" (my mother's contact name) with my mom's picture. I have deleted both contacts and recreated them, i have deleted the numbers in my Verizon cloud, messed with my Google contacts, unlinked accounts... I'm at a total loss if what to do. This is the first time it's ever happened but it could happen in the future I suppose. I've had this ohone practically since it came out and I don't think I've called my in law since I've gotten the phone.

Advertisement

2. Smokindog

Smokindog Newbie
    None

Oct 25, 2017
    I had this happen with texts to my wife because I had her number listed as a second cell phone in my contact. It kept telling me I was sending the text to myself. Once I deleted it was OK. STILL a bug IMO

3. megsch525

megsch525 Lurker
    None

Oct 8, 2017
    I agree. I ended up deleting both contacts, re-adding them, and it fixed itself, but it was irritating all the same.

4. Smokindog

Smokindog Newbie
    None

Oct 25, 2017
    Still issues here. I deleted my wife's mobile phone from my contact. I've always kept each others mobile in our contacts as a tertiary number for emergencies.

5. appsformob

appsformob Lurker
    None

Nov 13, 2017
    Male
    Finance Manager
    Kuwait
    Too bad, same thing happened to my phone (Huwaei Mate 7) and my wife's phone (Huwaei Mate 9) suddenly all our contacts got messed up!
    i'm 100% sure this has to do with Google contacts, i don't have any proof nor understand what happened! but all i know it's because of Google

6. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    When your contact entries are getting mixed up and not sorting properly that indicates there's a problem you need to correct with your primary contacts database. Most people rely on the default setup where contacts are based on whatever is in their online email account, others are averse to relying on online services and instead just store all their contacts info in their mobile devices. If you're the former you will probably find it easier to clean up and edit your contacts listings using a computer or laptop as it's generally easier to do cut-and-paste and content editing on a bigger screen using a keyboard and mouse. If you're the latter, do be sure to use the export option in the Contacts app to make manual backups on a regular basis (or implement a reliable, third-party automatic backup solution).
    Anyway getting back to the actual cleaning up of all your contacts, using Gmail as an example, go to https://contacts.google.com and log into your account to access your contacts listing. You might want to start off using the 'Duplicates' option in the left side panel. If you have a large number this will be something of a daunting task if you've never organized your contacts entries before, but keep in mind the time spent actually sorting things out will pay off later each time for anything contacts-related (plus the benefit of being able to seamlessly transfer your contacts from an older phone to a newer one). Once you get your main contacts database cleaned up, that should then reflect on your phone as it syncs itself to your online account.

7. Smokindog

Smokindog Newbie
    None

Oct 25, 2017
    I don't use google contacts and have it disabled. It still messes up. As soon as I deleted her number (had as Other) from MY contact the SMS conversation that was labelled as with myself changed to her.

8. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    OK but what email service do you use? Or if you only have your contacts stored locally, solely on your phone have you tried to clean up your contacts entries using just the Contacts app? Also, be sure to go into the Settings menu of the Contacts app to set things up accordingly.

9. Smokindog

Smokindog Newbie
    None

Oct 25, 2017
    Contacts are local only and my list is squeaky clean! I sync them manually with my Thunderbird contacts using MyPhoneExplorer, same process I've used for a couple years. Problem is new with the new S8+ as of September. Don't know why email service would have any impact on this. It didn't on my previous Android (ASUS Xenfone2). It's a legacy verizon.net account (now AOL :( since Frontier took over).

As I said, I removed my wife's number from MY contact and things started to work as expected. MY contact appears alphabetically before her's in the list (different last names).

10. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    That MyPhoneExplorer service adds an interesting aspect to your problem. I have no idea if your problem is indeed an Android-related matter or something to do with MyPhoneExplorer, You might get more relevant info from its help forum:
    http://www.fjsoft.at/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
    Note there's just this one 'English' section and the rest being in Austrian. (MyPhoneExplorer apparently being proprietary software developed there.)
    Also, reading back through this thread, you mentioned using Verizon cloud. Once you rely on multiple backup and syncing services based on different sources, that becomes a very complicated mix that requires a lot of careful configurations for each service. It's one thing to have multiple backups (a good thing) but not so much multiple backup services running concurrently.

11. Smokindog

Smokindog Newbie
    None

Oct 25, 2017
    My PhoneExplorer has NOTHING to do with the problem which is why I hesitated to mention it. The contacts are clean and stored local to the phone. Can we focus on the fact that many others are reporting the same issue and the fac that deleting my wife's phone number or adding it back changes the SMS behavior?

Also, I've NEVER mentioned using verizon cloud or any other cloud service, in fact I specifically said I don't even use google contacts because I don't trust the cloud service. I use POP3 to get my email on my phone.

Again, let's stop looking for problems elsewhere. MyPhoneExplorer is a simple COPY of contacts and I don't use cloud services. Besides, it works FINE on my ASUS Zenfone2 that I migrated from.

12. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    My error, I wasn't paying attention and lost track of the OP's query and mixing it up with your postings to their thread. Since you've determined a third-party service can't be a part of your problem, I'll just step out here.

13. Smokindog

Smokindog Newbie
    None

Oct 25, 2017
    It's not a third party service. It's a manual sync process that copies contacts. What you're saying is that if you've done anything other than manually entering all your contacts it is more than likely the fault of the tool you used. There are many people complaining of the same problem in many threads on many boards.

The fact that I can delete her number and it works or MANUALLY add her number and it fails kind of eliminates anything but the base software.

BTW, I believe MPE uses vCards to perform the sync, a standardized interchange format....

#13 Smokindog, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017

Samsung Galaxy S8

Samsung Galaxy S8