• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS forwarding requires Gmail password??

Damandoli

Lurker
Feb 15, 2016
We installed an SMS Forwarder by Yasmani. While setting it up it required that we "link" our email account by entering our email and email password. Why does it need to get into our email account? I don't want it to access my contacts, just forward all texts to my email. I would think the email would come from Yasmani.

How is it going to forward to your email? To copy direct to an email folder it needs access to the account. To send from one of your accounts it needs that account'a login. You are making an assumption about how it would work (upload text to a server and then send it to you as an email from there), but that is not the only way such a thing could work, and clearly not the way it does.

Maybe they figure that what you were assuming would be unpopular because every text notification would be followed by an email notification, whereas with the account login they can copy it silently?

If you don't want to give it that access (which I can understand) then just don't.

Upvote 0
That's a reasonable explanation.

I sympathize with op also. It's crazy how many permissions are requested by many apps. (at least we can choose the permissions we wish to grant in marshmallow)

One workaround is to create a new ghost email account with forwarding capabilities (example gmail). Give them that password and set the ghost email up to forward to your real email.

It may also be possible to do with tasker although I'm not positive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones