1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support SMS Major Problem - Randomly stop receiving text messages

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Luvz2Fly, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Luvz2Fly

Luvz2Fly Lurker

I'm going crazy!!! Recently my Nexus 4 had an issue where it would not show any new SMS messages (I can send - not receive). I figured it was an AT&T problem and after waiting 5 days for them to even look at the issue, one day 150+ text messages starting pouring in. I figured problem solved by AT&T phew. Then a few weeks later it happened again, this time when I called back they referenced the old notes only to say they never actually found the issue and were waiting for me to call back. Great.... now we start the support dance again and I am told to wait up to 5 days again for tech support to look into it. Since I rely on it way too much for work I decided to try something on my own. I put my SIM card into a new phone and boom all my missing messages instantly came in (50+ messages). OK so the issue was MY phone. I put the SIM back into the Nexus 4 and sent a few text messages and nothing happens. I reboot into safe mode and the new messages start coming in. Solution found, right? Must have been some third party app? NOPE! Turns out today (2 week since last SMS incident) I have the issue again where I stop receiving messages so I reboot into safe mode again and this time nothing! I'm still stuck without my messages being delivered ...

so here is what I know
    • I removed GO SMS PRO and rebooted multiple times (didn't need to remove last time but I cleaned it up just to be safe)
    • I rebooted multiple times into and out of Safe Mode - still nothing
    • I pulled the SIM card for a goof - powered up and down - still nothing
    • I can SEND SMS messages and the get delivered just fine
    • I CAN receive MMS messages and CAN send MMS
    • SMS receiving fails for a few days at a time at random times (like I am in the middle of a text message thread and then nothing)
    • Stock Nexus 4
    • Android 4.2.2
    • AT&T
    • NO Other SMS apps installed
    • Losing hair fast!
    • :banghead:

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

You've not got a load of messages have you? I'm not running the stock ROM, but on my messaging app, there's an option on to limit the number of messages per conversation/overall. Is there anything like that checked in the SMS settings?

Luvz2Fly likes this.
  3. Luvz2Fly

Luvz2Fly Lurker

I do have lots but I have also deleted a bunch since. and no there is no limit enabled (I see the option) I am going to backup all SMS data and then dump and see what happend but I dont have a good feeling at this point other then a full restore

4. Luvz2Fly

Luvz2Fly Lurker

As a follow up I have deleted EVERY text I have so now there are NONE - still no text! Might have to go nuclear and go factory reset. Anyone have a link to a good thread on backing up and restoring a Nexus 4 (not rooted). My first Android and I don't have much experience with resets

Thanks!

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Look at an app on Play called Helium Backup, I had to fix my mates HTC Sensation and ended up factory resetting. Helium backed up everything prior to the reset and restored it perfectly too - it's cracking app.

Before you reset, have you tried a cache and data clear? Settings > Apps > All > Messaging > Clear Cache/data?

You'd lose SMS settings etc but it's worth a go.

Luvz2Fly likes this.
Tags: