• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS Messages not downloading

ras_oscar

Jul 4, 2016
For the past 2 weeks my phone has been unable to down most SMS text messages. I get a download link and when I select it I get a message saying "Currently unavailable to download please try again later". Same message whether wifi is on or off. I am using the default messaging app " messages"

The carrier is ATT. I did a chat session with ATT earlier today and they sent me 2 test texts. One was a SMS the other an MMS. The SMS came through fine, the MMS did not. My text threads have multiple participants, so it is likely at least some of the are using an Iphone. ATT suggested I try deleting my history, which I did. I just cleared the cache and if I still am experiencing the same issue after a few days I will try another messaging app.

Upvote 0
The built-in app will be the manufacturer's own. There are many alternatives - Textra is popular, and quite lightweight and fast. Whether it will solve your problem is another matter, since I'm not aware of the HTC message app generally having a problem with MMS.

Are you absolutely sure of your APNs? Some carruers use separate APNs for MMS and data. And is this an ATT handset (which ought to be set up correctly) or not?

Upvote 0
The APN values are in alignment with those published on the ATT website. Not sure if there are 3G vs 4G settings? Also, not sure how to find/check/set APN values for MMS. The values I checked were found on my phone ( android 5.1) at this location:

Settings->access point Names->ATT Nextgenphone->

The handset was obtained from ATT at the ATT store ( not a retailer, an actual ATT owned store).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones