• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS Messaging problem

I received the OTA Froyo update today however after it successfully downloaded when i click the messaging icon it directly goes to the stock app whereas before it would ask if i wanted it to default to handcent. Even if i open the handcent app settings it doesnt give me the option to set it as default.

Finally when it alerts me to a new message and i respond by clicking a shortcut to handcent and replying the stock message icon still shows unread messages.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks

First off, long time lurker, first time poster.

Well this is quite annoying. I have gone as far as using "Launcher" over "TwLauncher" because that is infuriating! Tw (touch wiz) launcher is more beautiful, but I just cant handle that messaging notification. I dont want to open two apps (handcent, then messaging) just to get rid of one notification. I have the same setup as you OP.

If you are ok with a subtle change in homescreen, and app drawer, try Launcher as default "home" setting. Not as purdy, but pretty much stock froyo.

I will stick around for updates on this! AHHHH!

Upvote 0
I received the OTA Froyo update today however after it successfully downloaded when i click the messaging icon it directly goes to the stock app whereas before it would ask if i wanted it to default to handcent. Even if i open the handcent app settings it doesnt give me the option to set it as default.

Finally when it alerts me to a new message and i respond by clicking a shortcut to handcent and replying the stock message icon still shows unread messages.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks

In the stock messaging software, turn off all notifications (a word of caution. . .I suggest setting them to silent before shutting them off. . .as for some reason when I just turned them off . . .they occasionally still "notified" me. . .but that was in 2.1).

Delete the icon from the home-screen and re-add it. When you do that on your first click, it should present you with the option as to which you want to use (or just drop the handscent icon there in it's place).

That should fix both of your problems.

Upvote 0
In the stock messaging software, turn off all notifications (a word of caution. . .I suggest setting them to silent before shutting them off. . .as for some reason when I just turned them off . . .they occasionally still "notified" me. . .but that was in 2.1).

Delete the icon from the home-screen and re-add it. When you do that on your first click, it should present you with the option as to which you want to use (or just drop the handscent icon there in it's place).

That should fix both of your problems.

AHA! That looks right. I knew how to make it default. The docked app still would show an unread message however. That was annoying. Now the messaging app just shows in the app drawer. I am back on Touch Wiz now :)

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue. I had Sprint do the update today for me from their computers and once I got everything installed, handcent and the default messaging is giving a problem.

I want Handcent to be my default program (which I have set it as default) and to be the only one to give notifications. I have disabled the auto-retrieve and notifications alert from the default messaging application and turned those on in Handcent. However, now when I get a text message, the number of unread messages is in a bubble on my default messaging application even if I have read them in Handcent. When I had 2.1, I never had this issue.

Please help!! I have noticed that text messages now also show up under the call log tab. Could this be the default messaging application shows the message counter of unread? If so, how can this be fixed? It's driving me nuts!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones