• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS/MMS delayed and unreliable

I've had my HTC Droid DNA since a few days before Thanksgiving, and I use it every day. Mostly, I use it for SMS, since I'm in front of a computer all day anyway. I do call and get called (not very often) and I use a Spider Solitaire app pretty frequently. Beyond that, the phone is also linked to my Dropbox and Google Drive accounts, and I've linked 3 e-mail accounts successfully. I use the camera a lot and it puts the photos right into Dropbox. I have plenty of data in the plan anyway.

So essentially, everything's working fine EXCEPT SMS and MMS, i.e messaging. This only started a couple of days ago, when I noticed that there was suddenly a several-second delay between the time I touch "Send" and when the actual speech-bubble thing pops up on the screen. Lately, it's gotten worse in that the phone lags behind my swipe inputs. This has never happened before. The trace color trail is spot-on, but it's like my typing isn't registering immediately. It's strange.

Additionally, when I get a text, I turn on the screen (no lock code) and instead of instantly seeing the new message, it takes a few seconds to pop up, during which time the phone appears frozen.

This happens in no other app. I don't really know what I can compare this to, so I tried just writing some stuff in the Notes app and that worked totally fine.

Yesterday I tried to send a picture and it wasn't marked as "sent" for nearly twenty minutes! I also noticed that I sometimes won't see the most recent messages in the conversation. I remember having read them, but they vanish and re-appear later...

I'm not sure if the phone is also not getting messages in a timely fashion, or if the other person is taking longer to respond (or their service isn't great.)

That's the best I can do to describe the problem. It's impossible to send or receive long texts now, as they come in parts but not in order, and sending them is difficult too simply because the phone lags in displaying the typed words to begin with!

I'm a computer technician by trade but this is my first Android phone. Actually it's my first smartphone. It's also my first Android anything, so I know very little about how it actually works behind the scenes. However, I'm a programmer and a fast learner, so I'm not too intimidated. :p

Also I guess it's pertinent/relevant to say I've not "rooted" the phone or messed with the system itself in any way. :)

Thanks in advance for any insight and/or advice!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones