1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SMS msg w HTML not displayed

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jrboonstra, Apr 23, 2012.

1. jrboonstra

jrboonstra Lurker

Hi. I have a Galaxy Nexus phone from Verizon w Android 4.02. I'm trying to debug an SMS problem from a particular source. Their messages always display as "(<source> To view this message, please use an HTML compatible email viewer." The problem occurs in the default Messaging application, as well as others (Handcent, Go SMS Pro).

Any clues as to why these messages might not display properly? I've found nothing online even simular. Absent an idea, I will write some code based on the SMSMessaging sample code to see if the message is malformed somehow.

Thanks.
    -- Bob

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. FrankXS

FrankXS Well-Known Member

SMS does not support html, to my knowledge. So I'm not surprised. Sounds like they are using an html format email client to send to your phone number rather than your email address. You might have them try changing their email client to plain text and retry.

-Frank

3. jrboonstra

jrboonstra Lurker

Lots of SMS msgs include urls, bit.ly/xxx the most common. I have requested the exact text of what they are sending. They refuse to change to plain text. They also complain that no one else has the problem.

4. FrankXS

FrankXS Well-Known Member

You didn't say URL in your post. You put "html" in the subject.

And, of course SMS can include URLs because URLs are plain text. As far as your friend refusing to try plain text... I guess they don't care to talk to you all that much. I dunno...

-Frank

5. jrboonstra

jrboonstra Lurker

Actually, I don't know what is in the message, since I cannot see it. I don't know how technical the person was telling me I needed an html-compatible viewer. You may be right about their attitudes. I guess it is time to write some code...

Thanks.
    -- Bob