1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

SMS not mms

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Alamb200, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Alamb200

Alamb200 Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2017
    Hi, I recently changed my old Sony phone for a Moto one running nougat and up until today I was really happy with it.
    Today I have found a flaw that had questioned whether I keep the phone or not.
    Let me explain, I coach a junior hockey team and contact all the parents by text. On my old phone I created a group called hockey and sent a text to that group, all worked fine.
    Now I have tried to do the same with nougat and my provider tells me that if I try to send a text to multiple recipients it is now going as mms instead of SMS and will cost me 25p per text, I am sending around 40 at a time.
    Is there any way round this money cow that has been created? It is a rip off, I only want to send availability requests to the players.
    Thanks
    Alamb200

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Is there any reason why the recipients should need to reply to the group?

I use an app called Group SMS (Pro - paid version) that sends out individual texts to groups that I define. It's a bit clunky, but it works.

Dannydet likes this.
  3. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    I use Textra and send group texts just fine.
    I'd complain to my carrier on this

4. Alamb200

Alamb200 Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2017
    Hi All,
    Thanks for your replies. I have spoken to my provider and my contract does not include MMS messages in it, only SMS so I have to pay extra.
    I tried Group text and while it allowed me to send to a group the texts still went out as MMS messages rather than SMS.

5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Check your message app's settings. Mine (Textra)has an option to send group messages as SMS rather than MMS (though the labelling, bulk vs chat, is obscure - bulk is the one that sends individual sms). If your app doesn't have such option, change message app.

I don't think it's the provider's fault: it's your message app that determines how messages are sent. Note to Americans: in the UK SMS is effectively free for almost everyone, as most deals have so many bundled messages you'd never use them (and there are no charges for receiving here). MMS are however charged separately in most cases. I assume that it's different in the US since so many message apps default to MMS for this, which few here would choose.

Actually I don't know anyone who still uses MMS - anyone who wants to send a photo will generally use an Internet based message service (WhatsApp etc).

Xavier Black and kate like this.
  6. Alamb200

Alamb200 Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2017
    Cheers Hadron. I have just installed Textra and it looks to be working.
    Well I have had one reply :)

7. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    I do. Have no need for What's App or anything like it. None of my apps are social.

Dannydet likes this.
  8. NhanChinhKhang

None

Aug 28, 2017
    There are many Android apps that allow instant messaging with groups like Facebook Messenger, Viber, etc. Why not try it?

Sherry1538 and Hunter stuart like this.