• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS not working, get blank message from "5556"

sremick

Android Expert
Jun 18, 2010
USA
www.ninstation.com
So I'm having a peculiar problem which doesn't appear to be specific to my model phone.

I use Google Voice for my text messaging so I'm not sure when this started. But I'd like to be able to at least receive text messages that people try to send to my main number. But what happens now is that I see the message text appear in the notification part temporarily, but when I go into the stock SMS app all I see is a separate blank message from "5556" and always with a date of March 26 and a time of 12:19AM. The actual message doesn't appear.

I've used APNdroid and QuickSettings in the past to disable 3G but leaving the "allow MMS" option checked. Neither is currently enabled but maybe they mess with settings somewhere?

And like I said, I have Google Voice installed too. Not sure what else could have messed with settings. My message center is set to "+13123149810".

I have been searching and saw these threads so it's not unique:
http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshooting/192806-sms-mms-issue.html
sms from 5556 after upgrade to cm6.0.1rc1 - xda-developers

No solution though. Any thoughts?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones