1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

SMS Pop up.. Use over Lock Screen

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ClubSteeler, May 16, 2011.

1. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Is there any way to view my SMS Pop Up notifications without unlocking the phone?

Ever since upgrading to froyo, I am forced to used a screen lock with a 5-digital pass word due to my work exchange email. I can not disable this. I can not use a pattern.

I'd love to be able to read a text message without unlocking the phone. I am currently using SMS Popup with the default Texting App. I am happy with it. However, the lock/unlock feature is really annoying when in a text conversation, or worse yet... while driving. I don't text while driving, but would like to be able to glance at the screen for a second. Now I would have to pick up the phone, slide the slider, enter my password and click OK, just to read the text notification...

Advertisement

2. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I use "Handcent" sms messaging app. It has a feature were, it has a full funtion pop up widow were you can review and reply to messages, over the lock screen, without having to unlock the phone.

McLabia likes this.
  3. ClubSteeler

None

Jan 7, 2011
    Nice. Now I finally have a reason to try this. Any Go SMS Pro users? Does it have this feature also?

4. LNMoton

LNMoton Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    South Carolina

Yes it does. I currently use it.

5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I use GoSMS Pro, I was a longtime handcent user and just tried GoSMS last week, I love it and highly recommend it

6. Booya

Booya Well-Known Member
    None

Got a issue with Go SMS not playing well with widgetlocker. When i get a pop up notification and the screen times out, the LED will not blink even though it set to do so. If i turn off widgetlocker it works fine. What i notice is when turning the phone back on, the unread icon in the notification bar is not there. Go SMS acts like i read the message but i didn't. Any fix?

7. golfingator

golfingator Newbie
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    I tried the GO SMS for a bit and didn't like it; couldn't get rid of all the double notifications. SMS Pop Up has been great. It unlocks the sleeping phone and this was the feature I really wanted. Replies are then easy.

I have read on other posts that certain phones built in features really don't let you bypass the lock screen feature; you still have to use it even with a patten unlock (Motorola Milestone)

8. ClubSteeler

None

Jan 7, 2011
    SMS Pop up is fine. I tried Handcent and liked it, but it was slow on my phone. I got Go SMS Pro, and it is also very nice, and much faster. So far, I am keeping it. It just looks prettier. Seriously though, SMS Pop up was fine. I don't care about themes or tons of smileys.

Noe of the three, however, can put the msg notification pop up over my lock screen. I've tried...

9. ClubSteeler

None

Jan 7, 2011

You are getting double notification with Go SMS?

Be sure to unistall all other notification apps, Sms pop up, Handcent, etc...

Then go into your stock messenging app, click menu -> Settings, and uncheck notifications.

10. gadgetmann

gadgetmann Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Count yourself lucky it's only 5 characters.....my company's policy is 8! A real pain until I realised instead of using usual type of passwords such as "Password1", I could instead use something like "zzz11zzz". Makes it MUCH easier to type, esp with one hand.