1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support SMS Preview in Notification Bar

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jacki1008, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Jacki1008

Jacki1008 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Home of the Ravens
    So, is there really no way to set the native messaging app so that it WON'T show a preview of a text message in the notification bar?

Advertisement

2. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Co-op'ing, doing software development in IT
    Ohio, US
    Why yes, there is! When in the main view of the app (seeing all the various threads) go to Menu > Settings > Notifications ("Display message notifications in the status bar") and un-checkmark it.

3. Jacki1008

Sep 10, 2010
    Home of the Ravens
    Unfortunately, then I don't even get the little message icon in the notification bar. I want the icon, just not the content preview that shows up with it.

4. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Top Secret
    WA
    If you just want to know you have a missed message but dont want a preview of it it might be time to branch out beyond the default messaging app. If you DL the free app Handcent [available in Market] you can configure it so it will display a number over its own icon telling you how many missed messages you have

5. Jacki1008

Sep 10, 2010
    Home of the Ravens
    Hi saps. I had Handcent but then uninstalled it. May just need to re-install I guess. There are some things I like about the default app and some things I like about Handcent. Guess i have to choose. Any reason to check out ChompSMS over Handcent?

6. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Top Secret
    WA
    No not really, as you say some of these aftermarket add-on's are so similar. Its really a 6 of one, half a dozen of the other issue sometimes. Try something out you just gotta pick the one you like most [or maybe dislike least]. Handcent is best for me