• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS problems: Droid or Verizon?

johninbigd

Android Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009
I've been chatting a lot with someone else who is also on Verizon. I have a Droid (using Handcent) and she just has a plain old phone. I have delivery notifications enabled. There seems to be a gigantic variability in the time it takes for SMS messages to get back and forth. Sometimes we get each other's messages pretty quickly, other times it can take minutes and sometimes nearly an hour or more.

Since this is happening in both directions, I tend to think this is Verizon's problem. However, I'm not certain.

What do you all think? If it's Verizon, why do they have such a hard time doing something as simple as delivering an SMS quickly?

FYI, I heard of two possible workarounds for this. The first is to add a 1+ to the phone number even if it's local. The second is to send yourself a txt if you notice that they're backing up and not being delivered. I don't know if this is psychological or not, but someone on a forum says that if he has txts that don't show as being delivered, they will suddenly be delivered if he sends himself a txt. So, I'll try both and see how it goes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones