• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS Recovery - Galaxy S3

You can't recover files on an Android phone without rooting it. That voids the phone's warranty.

Most of the file recovery programs aren't "shady", but there's no guarantee in recovering deleted files in a computer, any computer, due to the nature of computer storage. If another file was stored in the place the SMS file used to be before it was deleted, the SMS file can't be recovered. And whether that happened is purely a matter of chance. So you could root the phone, buy an app (there are no free ones that will recover more than picture and/or music files), then find that the messages you want aren't there.

In the future, use an app like SMS Backup+ to back your messages up on a computer or in the cloud or both. (Any file you don't want to lose should be backed up to at least 2 different devices.)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
You can't recover files on an Android phone without rooting it. That voids the phone's warranty.

Most of the file recovery programs aren't "shady", but there's no guarantee in recovering deleted files in a computer, any computer, due to the nature of computer storage. If another file was stored in the place the SMS file used to be before it was deleted, the SMS file can't be recovered. And whether that happened is purely a matter of chance. So you could root the phone, buy an app (there are no free ones that will recover more than picture and/or music files), then find that the messages you want aren't there.

In the future, use an app like SMS Backup+ to back your messages up on a computer or in the cloud or both. (Any file you don't want to lose should be backed up to at least 2 different devices.)

Thanks Rukbat for your answer.

I've rooted a few devices before but not recently - I've never done an S3. Can you point me towards a tutorial or some instructions for the s3?

I understand that deleted SMS files are eventually over-written. But I lost all of them so recovering even some, will be a huge benefit.

And if anyone has a preference on or a quality experience with a recovery app, I'd love to hear you share your wisdom.

Thanks.

:flowers:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones