• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sms spy??

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, and the consensus was this is definetly illegal. If you want to know who your daughter is texting/calling, ask her. If you are worried about who she is talking/hanging out with, sit down and have a talk with her, dont SPY on her illegally.

You can see who she calls on your monthly bill, and some carriers may allow you to see text transcripts, but that depends on the carrier.

Upvote 0
Can't you check who she texts and calls on your account online?? I can see all the numbers i text/call, just not what my texts say.

but that sad part is VZW actually charges for detailed billing now. talk about a freakin jip! i refuse to pay another 5$ a month so that a few clock cycles of CPU power are used to pull my call/txt list up every month
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Restrict texting on your daughter's phone if you are that concerned. Then set some ground rules before letting her use it again, eg., nothing gets deleted unless YOU delete them or something like that. Do a sanity check by verifying dates/times of SMS on phone with online account. A PITA for you, but if you're that worried, you should do it.

Alternatively, you could get her a phone that you can install My Mobile Watchdog on it.

It's not spyware in that she will know that the app is on the phone. But you will get copies of everything she sends/receives. Solves the "illegality" issue that some folks are bringing up here.

Upvote 0
We seem to regularly get spam about these apps - always initially couched as a query from a suspicious spouse or parent...

Not saying the OP in this thread is guilty of this, but in other forums when they ask for this kind of spyware for their "daughter" or "son", I sometimes got the distinct feeling they really meant spouses/s.o.'s.

I actually do believe that that carriers should let parents have transcripts of their kids' texting without subpoenas.

But not cool if this is done to spy on adults, even if the one asking is the one paying the bills.

Upvote 0
I'm curious about the "illegality" issue. If the company that you work for provides you with a cell phone, everything you do on the phone is company property and they can legally eavesdrop on any phone conversation, text thread, e-mail thread, etc., that they want. Why wouldn't this be the same thing for a parent with the phone that purchased and carries on his account? Don't get me wrong, I would not do this type of thing with my kids, but if I suspected that they were into something that may lead to trouble for them, I might be tempted. I did install LookOut on their phones and told them outright that I may use it to determine whereabouts if I see fit. I have used it one time. My daughter called me just after she got her license and said she was lost. I use the "Find My Phone" feature and saw where she was. After I stopped laughing, I told her how to get back home. She had gotten on the interstate and just neglected to get off. Her brother was with her and made her pull over and call me when he realized (he doesn't drive yet) that it had never taken that long to get home before. She was 20 miles in the wrong direction when I located her.

Anyway, I was just curious.

BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0
I'm curious about the "illegality" issue. If the company that you work for provides you with a cell phone, everything you do on the phone is company property and they can legally eavesdrop on any phone conversation, text thread, e-mail thread, etc., that they want. Why wouldn't this be the same thing for a parent with the phone that purchased and carries on his account? Don't get me wrong, I would not do this type of thing with my kids, but if I suspected that they were into something that may lead to trouble for them, I might be tempted. I did install LookOut on their phones and told them outright that I may use it to determine whereabouts if I see fit. I have used it one time. My daughter called me just after she got her license and said she was lost. I use the "Find My Phone" feature and saw where she was. After I stopped laughing, I told her how to get back home. She had gotten on the interstate and just neglected to get off. Her brother was with her and made her pull over and call me when he realized (he doesn't drive yet) that it had never taken that long to get home before. She was 20 miles in the wrong direction when I located her.

Anyway, I was just curious.

BigRedGonzo

There are no legality issues with installing this or any kind of tracking app with the users permission (which is my blanket recommendation for anybody looking for this kind of app, for several reasons. Make them aware of the tracking, why you're doing it and so forth).

As far as I know (and I'm sure it varies state to state) in order for you to legally install this kind of app without their knowledge, the child has to be a minor in your custody using a phone that you bought on a service that you pay for. Anything else is illegal to some extent AFAIK (from a minor legal quible to you going to Federal prison, depending on exactly which one).

Reactions: BigRedGonzo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones