• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS / Text Messages disappeared HTC DESIRE history gone

My messages have all dissappeared again. I have had the phone since November and this I believe is the 3rd time it has happened. The 1st 2 times I was using Android 2.2, currently I'm using 2.2.1. In each case I have only ever used the stock SMS app.

My texts aren't all that important, but it meant I missed 3 unread messaged yesterday. As soon as i opened the Messages they had all dissappeared and I no longer had 3 unread messages.:(

Upvote 0
My phone has just wiped all of my SMS/MMS texts for the THIRD freaking time in a row! It is getting beyond a joke now.

I back the whole of my phone up daily with MyBackup and send a second copy of my texts to my G-Mail account using Easy SMS Backup for super safety (a bit of a chore the first time you back up but after that you can set it to automatic and it will back up all future texts without any intervention required) but that is hardly the point. This is a known fault and from the sounds of things, one HTC just expect us to live with.

I do love my phone but am fast becoming mightily pissed off that it randomly eats my data, the internal memory is so small as to be laughable and, having taken a good look around this forum, half the time you need a PHD in phone technology in order to get good performance out of it.

Upvote 0
HI everyone

I got my HTC Desire Z in December.

This happened to me within a few days of getting the phone, and ended up sitting in the Orange shop most of the afternoon while someone else tried to figure it out. Left the shop with the matter unresolved.

It's happened again twice since then - exactly the same issue.

Oh how I regret moving over from BlackBerry!

I havent tried contacting HTC or Orange - it would appear from this thread that would be a waste of time. Please someone, any ideas??

In the meantime, will install My Backup Pro.

Ta.

Upvote 0
I have only had my Desire Z for three weeks and all was going well apart from the volume of the ringer but that's another issue. I love the concept but I am not happy with the end result.

I first noticed a problem after the upgrade to 2.2.1 with Text indicators showing against people but no new message when I went to messages. Also the indictor would not go away. Eventually I worked out that the problem was created if I deleted the text and then exited messages. Reading the text, exiting, going back into messages and then deleting was no problem. The other thing that cleared it was another text from the same person. Next problem was preparing a new message if I first saved it to drafts. Opening that saved message caused the app to crash.

I reported these issues to HTC helpdesk and was assured they knew about it and were working on a fix. In the meantime I was horrified that there was no backup on the HTC so I purchased My BackupPro. This reported backup successful and indicated my 1300+ texts had been backed up ok.....Wrong! Lat night my phone indicated a message, which was another issue because sometimes it didn't let me know I had messages, and when I went into the message list there was nothing there. Tried BackupPro and this failed to restore returning an error message. I have e-mailed the authors for this paid for app and await a reply.

I followed instructions from another post about going to Menu>Applications>Manage Applications>Running Tab on the top of the screen>scroll down screen to messages>Open that and this showed 880kb of Data. Now I think this is my file of messages still in the phone but not recognised by the app. In the meantime 3 more messages have arrived I can't see but the file size has not increased staying on 880Kb.

I tried staying calm and phoning HTC this morning and they are OK to talk to but I think they are still trying to figure out what triggers this problem. I did point out forcefully my disappointment of such a serious error and how I found it incredible that they did not supply a backup routine with the phone. I was advised that they were working on this and after a while they offered me a beta version which they e-mailed to me.

I installed it OK but it was mighty quick running the backup which when checked on the SD card was only 3k which turned out to be the three messages I had received this morning that I could not see the contents of. The other file I think is still in the phone but where is a mystery.

I use my phone for some messages from security equipment and this whole episode has been a disaster to me especially as I thought I was backed up. These products are supposed to be making life easier not give me hours and hours of frustration nor am I an unpaid Beta tester as I paid a lot of money for this phone. It should be HTC shame not sense after being wreck less with my data and any product that looses my data is in danger of serious damage.

To ensure I get the messages from the security equipment I am going back to using my old Nokia and at least that phone looked after my data!

Upvote 0
After speaking to HTC and e-mailing the Tech Support for MyBackupPro I decided to try taking the battery out of the phone. This had been avoided before because we knew the original file was still in the phone and this may have lost it forever. I found out last night however that although the MyBackup Pro backup file would not restore I could still view it so I knew I could at least see my messages and with that file on the SD card and backed up to my computer I was not risking much.

When I went to power down I saw an option to close all apps and restart so tried that first. When back up and running there were my new messages rather than just the number indicator and blank screen. Good start so I deleted these as they were not important and tried running the MyBackup Pro restore again and this time it worked and all my messages, 1347 of them, are back.

Until HTC get a fix for this problem I will not feel comfortable about relying on this phone to store my data as I am sure this will happen again going by others reported experiences. In the meantime if you don

Upvote 0
To all that this has happened to what Network are you on?

I have been in discussion with HTC over this as I had more problems this week. They seem to think that a missing phone number in one of the boxes in a setting SMSC which I accessed with a long code they gave me after a factory reset. I am on Orange and I have had a few texts since all this started that have symbols on the subject line and only contain a triangle, an @, and a colon. The theory that HTC are putting to me is that when these messages come in the upgrade does not know how to handle them without the phone number in the settings box and then either links the new texts to the wrong person or it crashes taking all the messages with it. They suspect the origin of these texts is from Orange so it would be interesting to see if anyone else has got these and then lost all their messages or if it affects other service providers.

Upvote 0
[PROBLEM]

[SOLUTION]
Go to Settings --> Accounts & Sync - Look for "HTC Sense"

If its there - Click it and click "Remove Account" - Dont worry you can re-add later and you wont lose anything.

If its not there - click "Add Account" - Then follow the steps to add the HTC Sense Account. Once you have added it - restart your phone and then go back to settings click "HTC Sense" and remove the account.

Restart your phone - all messages should be back - then if you wish Re-Add HTC Sense but I wouldnt bother its problematic at this stage.

Wont this just erase the messages at HTCsense.com?

Upvote 0
I am so angry right now.. I just changed the background on my mobile all was fine. then I scrolled across to my other screens to see how the background came out and when i got to the screen with my messages it said 'no messages' just all deleted in two seconds. I even went into the App screen to check my messages through there and they were all gone. no warning or anything. How can this even be allowed. I have emailed HTC and hopefully they will get back to me. I would not recommend the HTC Desire to anyone any more..

Upvote 0
To all that this has happened to what Network are you on?

I have been in discussion with HTC over this as I had more problems this week. They seem to think that a missing phone number in one of the boxes in a setting SMSC which I accessed with a long code they gave me after a factory reset. I am on Orange and I have had a few texts since all this started that have symbols on the subject line and only contain a triangle, an @, and a colon. The theory that HTC are putting to me is that when these messages come in the upgrade does not know how to handle them without the phone number in the settings box and then either links the new texts to the wrong person or it crashes taking all the messages with it. They suspect the origin of these texts is from Orange so it would be interesting to see if anyone else has got these and then lost all their messages or if it affects other service providers.

Looks like I am not the only one this has happened to. All of my messages from the 3 months I have had my Desire HD have disappeared. I had one important one I was trying to show someone at the time.

As Cameraman58 has reported, I am also with Orange and I frequently get a text from a miscellaneous contact with symbols such as triangle in the sender field and I delete these as I don't know what they are. Last night however I got one, deleted it and then got a pop up message saying there was some issue with android.sms and asking me to force close which I did and then lost all of my thousands of texts. Very annoying!!!

If this is an Orange issue I hope there is going to be a solution soon but it seems this is an issue with the OS in any case.

I have never backed up my txts before but have had issues with my SD card suddenly not being able to be read. It can be read with a USB reader though so I now use it as a memory stick instead and have bought a 32GB SD card which had better not corrupt for the amount it cost me!

I'll keep an eye out on this forum for a solution and might invest in a back up app as recommended by other users above.

Upvote 0
Arrgh, again!

Last posted in this thread in November, kinda hoped I'd never be back, but overnight all my sms messages disappeared from my phone again. Hopefully there weren't any unread messages that went with them. I guess I'll never know.

So it's been 5 months of no losses. I assumed it had been fixed.
My phone isn't root-ed, I use the default HTC Sense message app, nothing fancy.

I think I did get a couple of those "HTC Sense crashed" messages yesterday, but nothing appeared to be going wrong at the time, and everything was still there afterwards ... so ... ?

PS...
I'm also not locked into a particular carrier, never get "weird looking sms messages". Definitely not with "Orange" (assume that's a carrier in some country)

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the site although I've been an android user for a couple of years now.

I have a HTC Desire HD and I'm with T-Mobile and have been for just over 5 months.

Well I must say I absolutely love the phone and it's ease of use for the most part.

I use it for a lot of my business needs so reliability is of the utmost importance to me.

BUT and it is a big BUT I'm absolutely sick and tired of hearing a new message come through, opening my phone to find that it isn't there and also the rest of my messages have gone.

The first time I lost close to 6000 messages I then installed SMS Backup & Restore and tried to restore the texts when I remembered The next time I lost around 1500 messages and the two times after that a few hundred.

I had a play around with the app and decided to schedule a back up for 0500 every morning.

Anyway this morning the same thing has happened again, also after this happened I heard the notification tone for three new messages which didn't come though. I knew one to be from my wife due to the individual message tone, she confirmed that she had sent a message.

At first I couldn't restore from SMS Backup & Restore despite trying several times I got an error message.

I mounted the phone as a harddrive and found the folder to establish the back up file was there, it was and contained messages.

I came on here to see if I could find the location of where the texts are saved by the phone as I wanted to try and copy the back up file over manually.

I started reading this thread and tried the suggestions above which didn't work for me.

I restarted my phone again and tried the restore again, it worked this time so I didn't lose the 2000 messages I thought I might.

Frustratingly the restored messages only go back to the afternoon of the 18th April even though the last back up was run at 0500 this morning, I don't understand this but guess this is a problem with the app not the phone.

This problem has obviously been raging on for around a year now and obviously needs attention from HTC and the carriers.

This product is not fit for purpose if it cannot be relied upon to perform the most basic of tasks i.e. not indescriminately deleting all our data without prompting.

As such I wonder if we should be refunded for the cost of these faulty units or as a minimum offered a suitable replacement?

Is this issue only being reported on the HTC handsets?

Anyway rant over, I'll be contacting T-Mobile and HTC next.

Please keep the updates coming on this thread, it will be very usefull to keep up with everybody elses findings.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I too have had this problem, running the standard OS and message UI. I haven't got any Third Party message software installed at all, I do however have the AVG running in the background. The first time my messages cleared, AVG wasn't on the phone so I don't believe there is a link between the two.

That being said, each time I loose my messages (it's happened around 3 times now, since January) The message application is force closing. The only thing I can think of, that would force close an application, is a bug on the actual OS. Until HTC release an update to the OS that irons out this bug, we're going to keep experiencing the same problem :(

I would advise you to keep things backed-up on a regular basis, using an application from the Market Place or the HTC Sense Sync to a laptop / computer. It probably isn't the best idea to transfer your messages between phones as there is more of a risk to loosing them that way, through an interrupted transfer or compatibility issue between the two phones.

Lets hope HTC release a patch for this soon, it's been long enough already, by the looks of things *Crosses Fingers*

Gareth.

Upvote 0
The exact same thing has just happened to me... thousands of messages gone.

At some stage this thread started to be more about backup solutions as opposed to the original issue, so I have a question:

WITHOUT a backup solution, did anyone actually recover any of the original messages, and if so how? Where and how do they live on the phone's memory?

Thanks in advance - and good to see so many downright helpful people in a forum.

Upvote 0
Hi there,

now, i gonna join you...ofc same had to happen to me as well, any news bout that? any chance to get back old messages...??

well just read in an forum with date from march this year...:

"sms are gone and wont be able to back up....google is very sorry bout that; problem is with android sw...only option to us is to save this with a 3rd party sw like sms-backup or backup everything...

well, in the end...B***SH**....

have fun...bb

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones