• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS/text messages on Nexus 7 3G the

filbert

Dec 6, 2011
UK
There might already be a thread on this but the search system won't let me search for SMS - too short :( and the only references to text messages I can find related to the wifi version. (you can't search for 3g either)

If I receive a text message on my tablet is get a notification pop up and can read it but I can't find it again or reply to it. The only reference in the manual implies that I need a 3rd party app to use SMS - surely that can't be true? What reason could there be for locking me out of a basic function like that? I can add text messages to my sim plan, so that's not an issue.

Have I missed something obvious?

The 3G model, if you insert a SIM card for mobile data, also has a phone number and can send/receive SMS over the cell network. It lacks the ability to make cellular voice calls, but SMS does work.

I had to get a 3rd party SMS app for mine. Not sure why they didn't include the native android SMS app (or camera) in the Nexus 7, but that's what we have to deal with.

-SF

Upvote 0
You guys have been able to get service putting in a SIM from your phone? When in try that in get no service e, the only thingnthat works is the SIM from my wireless hotspot.

I have put a GiffGaff SIM (runs over O2 in the uK) in and that works. I had to tweak the APN settings but, I gather, that's pretty normal for a secondary network. Might not be needed for a normal carrier.

Upvote 0
I would rather say the reason is that it's a tablet, not a phone. I'm surprised you can receive and read an SMS on it tbh... I thought unlocking that functionality would be quite a stretch... Oh well, see if you can download something like GOsms.
All cell phones have a low speed data channel (its used for controlling the connection, dialing numbers, etc). SMS makes use of this data connection for sending and receiving user messaging. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that the Nexus 7 is capable of doing this since its still just a large cell phone, without the voice capabilities.

Upvote 0
Are you using an activated SIM card? Simply inserting the SIM that the N7 came with won't work if you don't activate it with the carrier.

-SF

The question may be what 3rd part SMS app are you using and how did you set it up. I have the activated AT&T data SIM and, yes, there is a phone number assigned, but I can't figure out how to get an SMS app to use it. I apologize if I am overlooking something obvious.

Thanks for your help. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones