1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

SMS vibrate profiles and Handcent

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 999life, Sep 20, 2011.

1. 999life

999life Newbie
    None

May 18, 2010
    Been struggling to make this work how I want it too so thought I'd see what you guys on here think.

I'm running Handcent SMS and Toggle Profiles is my current favourite to handle profile changes, the trouble I'm having is that Handcent seems to be the overriding force in the vibrate function that I'm trying to control. I want to be able to have vibrate for SMS while I'm at work and the phone is on silent, then switch the phone to loud and vibrate for SMS when I get home, then to quiet and no SMS vibrate at night time. Toggle profiles handles the changing settings but Handcent will only allow always vibrate (no good for night), only vibrate if phone is set to silent (no good for loud at home), or never vibrate (no good for work or home), I imagine the stock SMS app will allow me to manage the vibration better but I'm wondering if any one has had a similar problem or can recommend a different SMS app or settings that will let me do what I want?

It's getting quite frustrating now to not be able to have the phone vibrate for SMS when I want it to, any ideas?

Advertisement

2. DesireMe

DesireMe Android Expert
    None

May 20, 2010
    Poker
    Strathaven
    Volume Control + ??

3. 999life

999life Newbie
    None

May 18, 2010
    Just tried that thanks, doesn't really do what I want though.

I want my profile manager to automatically turn the vibrate function on and off when I want, the trouble seems to be that Handcent is overriding when to vibrate and not Toggle Profiles as I want. Seems my only option is to put up with that or go back to the stock SMS app.

4. coopdroid

coopdroid Lurker
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    I have used Handcent for a couple years, or used to use it actually. One of the earlier versions did exactly what we both need it to. NOT vibrate when the sound manager profile is config'd to be silent, such as at night. Then one day Handcent updated and now (at least a year later) still does not follow any sound manager profiles. I had just reinstalled it today to see if perhaps this "feature" had been changed, it hasn't. It's hard to believe that with the popularity of this app the vendor hasn't addressed the issue.

edit: I use Volume Control Pro for my profiles and schedules, works great otherwise.

edit edit: I just downloaded and tried GOSMS, the interface looks almost identical to Handcent but the notifications actually do not override other sound profile settings. I'm a fan of the GO apps and this seems to be just as good as the rest of their offerings.

5. 999life

999life Newbie
    None

May 18, 2010
    I'm sure I tried Gosms and it didn't work, maybe I'll try it again, maybe things have changed, thanks for the tip.

Tags: